- NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact threats to our planet.
- More than 13,500 near-Earth objects of all sizes have been discovered to date — over 95 per cent of them since NASA-funded surveys began in 1998. About 1,500 NEOs are now detected each year.
- The Planetary Defence Coordination Office will take a leading role in coordinating inter-agency and intergovernmental efforts in response to any potential impact threats.
- In addition to detecting and tracking potentially hazardous objects, the office will issue notices of close passes and warnings of any detected potential impacts, based on credible science data.
- Astronomers detect near-Earth objects using ground-based telescopes around the world as well as NASA’s space-based NEOWISE infrared telescope.
- Tracking data are provided to a global database maintained by the Minor Planet Centre.
- Once detected, orbits are precisely predicted and monitored by the Centre for NEO Studies (CNEOS) at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
- Select NEOs are further characterised by assets such as NASA’s InfraRed Telescope Facility, Spitzer Space Telescope and interplanetary radars operated by NASA and the National Science Foundation.
- With more than 90 per cent of NEOs larger than one kilometre already discovered, NASA is now focused on finding objects that are slightly bigger than a football field — 140 metres or larger.
Aadhaar seeding helps in weeding out 8.5 lakh bogus ration cards in state Aadhaar seeding of ration cards has helped weed out 8.5 lakh bogus cards. The Food and Civil Supplies department ...READ MORE
Seven years after the State Department was restructured to ‘de-hyphenate’ U.S. relations with India and with Pakistan, it is considering a reversal of the move. De-hyphenating refers to a policy started ...READ MORE
Legislative Council elections in the state Polling in the elections to the 25 seats of the Legislative Council from the Local Authorities constituencies , to be held on Sunday, will decide the fate ...READ MORE
Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board is an autonomous body formed by the State legislature under Bengaluru Water supply and Sewerage Board Act on 10-09-1964 for Water Supply & Sewage ...READ MORE
Ministry aims to have a new auction policy for hydrocarbon blocks ready by the end of the current financial year. Marginal field policy In the recently announced marginal field policy, the government ...READ MORE
The decision to expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru from 225 sq km to about 800 sq km by incorporating 110 villages, seven City Municipal Councils (CMC) and one Town ...READ MORE
ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ಉಡಾವಣೆ ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ಗೆ ಮುಂದೂಡಿಕೆ: ಇಸ್ರೋ ಚಂದ್ರನ ಮೂಲ ಮತ್ತು ಅದರ ವಿಕಾಸದ ಕುರಿತು ವೈಜ್ಞಾನಿಕ ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ನಡೆಸಲು ಮುಂದಿನ ತಿಂಗಳು ಉಡಾವಣೆಯಾಗಬೇಕಿದ್ದ ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ ತಿಂಗಳಿಗೆ ಮುಂದೂಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ಎಂದು ಇಸ್ರೋ ತಿಳಿಸಿದೆ. ಇತ್ತೀಚೆಗೆ ನಡೆದ ತಜ್ಞರ ಸಭೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ನೌಕೆಯನ್ನು ಮತ್ತಷ್ಟು ...READ MORE
Q. Examine the role played by TKDL in Protecting India's Traditional Knowledge What is Traditional Knowledge Traditional knowledge or Indigenous knowledge generally refers to the long-standing traditions and practices of certain regional, ...READ MORE
To boost electronic manufacturing in the country, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved incentives to the tune of Rs 10,000 crore for investors by amending the Modified Special Incentive Package ...READ MORE
Bescom starts project to track the life cycle of transformers The power utility is implementing a new Distribution Transformer Lifecycle Management Software (DTLMS) for approximately three lakh transformers spread across eight ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 4th
U.S. considers re-merger of India, Pakistan desks
Karnataka Legislative Council- A brief history
Karnataka Economy: Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board
New auction policy for natural gas
To Expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru
24th ಮಾರ್ಚ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE DIGITAL LIBRARY [TKDL]
Cabinet approves amendment in Modified Special Incentive Package
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 19th