- Amazon India, Flipkart and their rivals could soon face tax complications with Karnataka proposing a 1 per cent levy on payments by buyers to sellers on ecommerce sites, a move that could encourage other states to follow suit.
- The planned levy, in the form of value-added tax deducted at source
- Amazon India and Flipkart have fulfilment centres in Karnataka. Goods supplied by producers are kept in these centres before being shipped to customers. The two companies also have their head offices in Bengaluru, suggesting that the bulk of their business could be impacted by any such levy
- If put in place, ecommerce companies will have to deduct 1 per cent of payments made to vendors before passing the money on, making goods costlier for consumers.
- The state says the levy will help keep tabs on the revenue of sellers, who would be able to claim credit for the tax. The authorities feel this will ensure that disclosures are accurate and companies are paying the right amount of tax, said one of the persons cited above.
- Tax experts said such a levy would increase the compliance burden on the companies.
- Taxation of ecommerce companies has been in focus for some time, particularly after Karnataka questioned Amazon’s fulfilment centre model and sought to impose value-added tax on goods sold through the site, treating it as a commercial agent, a characterisation that the company has rejected.
- Taking a cue from this, states such as Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Delhi have sought to increase scrutiny on marketplace ecommerce platforms and made disclosure of monthly sales data mandatory for vendors registered with them.
- Most ecommerce sites are structured as marketplaces that facilitate trades between buyers and sellers to stay in compliance with overseas investment rules. India does not permit foreign investment in business to consumer (B2C) ventures.
- With ecommerce growing at a rapid pace in the country, state governments do not want to lose out on revenue. In most cases, invoices issued for online purchases show taxes levied, but states are not willing to take any chances as these companies have complex delivery structures.
- Marketplace firms have argued that they only facilitate sales and are not sellers themselves, so they shouldn’t be dragged into the tax net.
Tree survey is yet to take off in city Tree-fall, which endangers the lives of citizens and puts property at risk, is a common phenomenon during the rainy season. But the question ...READ MORE
For the first time, the secretariat has allowed the MLAs to either WhatsApp or e-mail their questions. This facility is introduced for the session starting February 6. Of the 224 MLAs, ...READ MORE
Second visit of PM Narendra Modi to USA commenced on 24 September 2015 after his stopover visit to Ireland. The primary agenda: To garner support for ‘Make in India’ ‘Skill India’ and ...READ MORE
The state government has notified the rules for implementing the revised scheme, which envisages acquisition of land for infrastructure projects. Under the revised scheme, two times the value of the land ...READ MORE
Kempe Gowda Jayanti fete put off Following the confusion over the date of birth of Nadaprabhu Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bengaluru, the State government has called off the Kempe Gowda ...READ MORE
Street children will be provided Aadhaar cards to enable them to take admission in schools and access government health services. The Standard Operating Procedure for Care and Protection of Children in ...READ MORE
World’s largest steelmaker ArcelorMittal may set up a solar farm on land allotted to it for a steel plant in Ballari district of Karnataka, in view of excess global steel ...READ MORE
State to file revision petition in SC on quashed SC/ST promotions The Cabinet on 17th March decided to file a revision petition challenging the Supreme Court ruling which struck down the consequential ...READ MORE
The famed Mysore Dasara also called the Nadahabba (state-festival) of the state is scheduled to be held from October 1 to 11, this year and here is what you should know. Poet Kanavi to ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Poor response from MLAs to e-governance initiatives
PM Narendra Modi Visit to US
Karnataka – Revised TDR notified; to be twice
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Aadhaar card for street children
Karnataka: ArcelorMittal plans solar farm in Ballari
18th March 2017 – Today’s Karnataka State Current
Mysore Dasara: An insight into the Nadahabba
Explained: Union Budget 2017-18