- Amazon India, Flipkart and their rivals could soon face tax complications with Karnataka proposing a 1 per cent levy on payments by buyers to sellers on ecommerce sites, a move that could encourage other states to follow suit.
- The planned levy, in the form of value-added tax deducted at source
- Amazon India and Flipkart have fulfilment centres in Karnataka. Goods supplied by producers are kept in these centres before being shipped to customers. The two companies also have their head offices in Bengaluru, suggesting that the bulk of their business could be impacted by any such levy
- If put in place, ecommerce companies will have to deduct 1 per cent of payments made to vendors before passing the money on, making goods costlier for consumers.
- The state says the levy will help keep tabs on the revenue of sellers, who would be able to claim credit for the tax. The authorities feel this will ensure that disclosures are accurate and companies are paying the right amount of tax, said one of the persons cited above.
- Tax experts said such a levy would increase the compliance burden on the companies.
- Taxation of ecommerce companies has been in focus for some time, particularly after Karnataka questioned Amazon’s fulfilment centre model and sought to impose value-added tax on goods sold through the site, treating it as a commercial agent, a characterisation that the company has rejected.
- Taking a cue from this, states such as Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Delhi have sought to increase scrutiny on marketplace ecommerce platforms and made disclosure of monthly sales data mandatory for vendors registered with them.
- Most ecommerce sites are structured as marketplaces that facilitate trades between buyers and sellers to stay in compliance with overseas investment rules. India does not permit foreign investment in business to consumer (B2C) ventures.
- With ecommerce growing at a rapid pace in the country, state governments do not want to lose out on revenue. In most cases, invoices issued for online purchases show taxes levied, but states are not willing to take any chances as these companies have complex delivery structures.
- Marketplace firms have argued that they only facilitate sales and are not sellers themselves, so they shouldn’t be dragged into the tax net.
Home Minister G Parameshwara said that a special drive would be launched throughout the state to check the narcotics menace. Responding to a calling attention notice tabled by Ramachandra Gowda (BJP) in ...READ MORE
Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA • An exclusive cell dedicated for municipal reforms. • Managed by Senior KAS and KMAS Officers and Professionals hired directly from the market. • The cell has in house Data Center with centralized ...READ MORE
Urban Slums The population living in urban slums in Karnataka has raised from 14.02 lakh (2001) to 32.91 lakh (2011) in a decade. This is a rise from 7.8 per cent of the total urban population ...READ MORE
Sellixo Students of the New Horizon Public School, Bengaluru, won the Technovation Challenge 2015 held at San Francisco in June for their app named Sellixo (means waste in Portuguese). The Android mobile ...READ MORE
The scheme was launched during 2006-07 with an objective to promote the birth of girl children in below poverty line families and to raise the status of the girl child ...READ MORE
Irrigation projects in Karnataka poorly executed, says CWC The Central Water Commission (CWC), which studied the drought situation in Karnataka, has taken a serious note of ‘poor execution’ of Centrally funded ...READ MORE
A United Nations panel has ruled as ‘unlawful detention’ the three-year period of political asylum sought by Wikileaks founder Julian Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London. The ruling by the ...READ MORE
The Union Budget 2017 was broadly focused on 10 broad themes farmers, rural population, youth, poor and health care for the underprivileged; infrastructure; financial sector for stronger institutions; speedy accountability; ...READ MORE
What is Pravasi Bharatiy Divas? Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Indian Day), is celebrated in India on 9 January each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the ...READ MORE
With the reopening of the Mysuru zoo after it was declared bird flu-free, more animals are set to join the zoo’s vast collection as part of the animal exchange programme ...READ MORE
Karnataka will launch special drive to curb narcotics
Urban Development – Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA &
Karnataka-Urban Development-Urban Slums
Man-made water crisis in Karnataka: KPSC/KAS 2016 Challengers
Assange’s detention illegal, says UN panel
Explained: Union Budget 2017-18
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: State to showcase startup prowess
Mysuru zoo gets – ‘bird flu-free’ tag –