- Amazon India, Flipkart and their rivals could soon face tax complications with Karnataka proposing a 1 per cent levy on payments by buyers to sellers on ecommerce sites, a move that could encourage other states to follow suit.
- The planned levy, in the form of value-added tax deducted at source
- Amazon India and Flipkart have fulfilment centres in Karnataka. Goods supplied by producers are kept in these centres before being shipped to customers. The two companies also have their head offices in Bengaluru, suggesting that the bulk of their business could be impacted by any such levy
- If put in place, ecommerce companies will have to deduct 1 per cent of payments made to vendors before passing the money on, making goods costlier for consumers.
- The state says the levy will help keep tabs on the revenue of sellers, who would be able to claim credit for the tax. The authorities feel this will ensure that disclosures are accurate and companies are paying the right amount of tax, said one of the persons cited above.
- Tax experts said such a levy would increase the compliance burden on the companies.
- Taxation of ecommerce companies has been in focus for some time, particularly after Karnataka questioned Amazon’s fulfilment centre model and sought to impose value-added tax on goods sold through the site, treating it as a commercial agent, a characterisation that the company has rejected.
- Taking a cue from this, states such as Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Delhi have sought to increase scrutiny on marketplace ecommerce platforms and made disclosure of monthly sales data mandatory for vendors registered with them.
- Most ecommerce sites are structured as marketplaces that facilitate trades between buyers and sellers to stay in compliance with overseas investment rules. India does not permit foreign investment in business to consumer (B2C) ventures.
- With ecommerce growing at a rapid pace in the country, state governments do not want to lose out on revenue. In most cases, invoices issued for online purchases show taxes levied, but states are not willing to take any chances as these companies have complex delivery structures.
- Marketplace firms have argued that they only facilitate sales and are not sellers themselves, so they shouldn’t be dragged into the tax net.
The famed Mysore Dasara also called the Nadahabba (state-festival) of the state is scheduled to be held from October 1 to 11, this year and here is what you should know. Poet Kanavi to ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
Denmark the least corrupt country, India at 76th position India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year’s global corruption index topped by Denmark, with watchdog Transparency International calling ...READ MORE
Travel time between Bengaluru and Mysuru could be reduced to 90 minutes in the near future if trials with a high speed, tilting train manufactured by Spanish manufacturer Talgo conducted ...READ MORE
In the first leg of his “historic” six-day tri-nation tour to West Asia, President Pranab Mukherjee held talks with Jordanian King Abdullah II in Amman on various bilateral issues including ...READ MORE
The report of the Pay Commission, headed by Ashok Kumar Mathur, a former judge of the Supreme Court, was held up due to Bihar Assembly polls. The commission was given ...READ MORE
Best Current affairs Magazine for all civil services competitive examinations. It is the only magazine that covers National issues, international issues and Karnataka issues all in one single magazine. Our ...READ MORE
Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM)- An anti-radiation missile (ARM) is a missile designed to detect and home in on an enemy radio emission source.Typically, these are designed for use against an enemy radar, ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the "Digital India Week" on 1st July, 2015Following are the projects and products that have been launched, or are ready for deployment, as part of ...READ MORE
Mysore Dasara: An insight into the Nadahabba
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot
The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) for 2015
Talgo tilting train- between Mysore Bangalore
India and Jordan
7th pay commission draft report
current affairs magazine karnataka for kas exams
Indigenously developed Anti-Radiation Missile
Proposed Karnataka sports policy