- Amazon India, Flipkart and their rivals could soon face tax complications with Karnataka proposing a 1 per cent levy on payments by buyers to sellers on ecommerce sites, a move that could encourage other states to follow suit.
- The planned levy, in the form of value-added tax deducted at source
- Amazon India and Flipkart have fulfilment centres in Karnataka. Goods supplied by producers are kept in these centres before being shipped to customers. The two companies also have their head offices in Bengaluru, suggesting that the bulk of their business could be impacted by any such levy
- If put in place, ecommerce companies will have to deduct 1 per cent of payments made to vendors before passing the money on, making goods costlier for consumers.
- The state says the levy will help keep tabs on the revenue of sellers, who would be able to claim credit for the tax. The authorities feel this will ensure that disclosures are accurate and companies are paying the right amount of tax, said one of the persons cited above.
- Tax experts said such a levy would increase the compliance burden on the companies.
- Taxation of ecommerce companies has been in focus for some time, particularly after Karnataka questioned Amazon’s fulfilment centre model and sought to impose value-added tax on goods sold through the site, treating it as a commercial agent, a characterisation that the company has rejected.
- Taking a cue from this, states such as Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Delhi have sought to increase scrutiny on marketplace ecommerce platforms and made disclosure of monthly sales data mandatory for vendors registered with them.
- Most ecommerce sites are structured as marketplaces that facilitate trades between buyers and sellers to stay in compliance with overseas investment rules. India does not permit foreign investment in business to consumer (B2C) ventures.
- With ecommerce growing at a rapid pace in the country, state governments do not want to lose out on revenue. In most cases, invoices issued for online purchases show taxes levied, but states are not willing to take any chances as these companies have complex delivery structures.
- Marketplace firms have argued that they only facilitate sales and are not sellers themselves, so they shouldn’t be dragged into the tax net.
Only 22% municipal soild waste processed in state Of the 36.50 lakh metric tonnes of municipal solid waste (MSW) generated in Karnataka per annum, only 22% is being processes, according to ...READ MORE
Parts produced by some commercial 3D printers may be toxic, according to a new study This raises concerns about how to dispose off parts and waste materials from the devices which ...READ MORE
Siddaramaiah, who presented the state budget proposals for 2017-18 in the Assembly on 15th March, tried to explain the financial constraints his government faces because of a sluggish economy. This has ...READ MORE
DOWNLOAD AUGUST 2016 CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE CLICK HERE Best Current affairs Magazine for all civil services competitive examinations. It is the only magazine that covers National issues, international issues and Karnataka issues ...READ MORE
ಚುನಾವಣೆ ಕುರಿತ ಗೀತೆ ಬಿಡುಗಡೆ ಮತದಾನದ ಕುರಿತು ಜನ ಜಾಗೃತಿ ಮೂಡಿಸಲು ಸಿದ್ಧಪಡಿಸಿರುವ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಚುನಾವಣಾ ಗೀತೆಯನ್ನು ಮುಖ್ಯ ಚುನಾವಣಾಧಿಕಾರಿ ಸಂಜೀವ್ಕುಮಾರ್ ಬಿಡುಗಡೆ ಮಾಡಿದರು. ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲ ಮೊಟ್ಟಮೊದಲ ಬಾರಿಗೆ ಚುನಾವಣೆಗೆಂದೆ ಗೀತೆ ರೂಪಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಈ ಗೀತೆ ಮತದಾನದ ಅರಿವು ಮೂಡಿಸಲು ಜನಸಮುದಾಯವನ್ನು ಮುಟ್ಟಲಿದೆ. ಈ ಗೀತೆ ...READ MORE
Cauvery dispute: SC directs Karnataka to release 2000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu, to begin final hearing from July 11 The Supreme Court on 21st March directed the Karnataka government ...READ MORE
The first unit of the Yeramarus Thermal Power Station (YTPS) has successfully completed the trial run by generating power continuously for 72 hours. The first generating unit of the newly set ...READ MORE
Former High Court judge Justice P Vishwanath Shetty was sworn in as the Karnataka Lokayukta, a year after the post fell vacant following a bribery scandal that had hit the ...READ MORE
New deadlines to revive Bellandur lake Four days after a fire put the spotlight back on Bellandur lake, the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), which is the custodian of the more-than-750-acre lake, ...READ MORE
In the integrated Union Budget for 2017-18 presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday, Rs 3,174 crore has been allocated for the South Western Railway ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 13th
Karnataka Budget 2017- 2018 – Highlights
AUGUST MAHITHI MONTHLY CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE FOR KAS
“14th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Yermarus Thermal Power Station first unit fit for
Karnataka gets Lokayukta after a year – Justice
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 21st
Yeshwantpur & B’luru Cantt to be made world-class