- In the last one month, only about 50,000 BPL households have submitted applications to the three state-owned oil marketing companies — Indian Oil Corporation Bharat Petroleum Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation, seeking free LPG connections.
- Free connections will be given in the name of woman member of the BPL families under the scheme, which was launched by the Centre in May this year.
- The Centre is using money saved by it under the Give-It-Up scheme (giving up LPG subsidy on refill cylinder) to fund the scheme.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme need not pay the deposit amount of Rs 1,600 for getting new connection. But the cost of refill cylinder and gas stove has to be borne by the beneficiary.
- The oil companies, which are tasked with the responsibility of achieving 100% LPG coverage, are now in a fix as they are finding it tough to identify the beneficiaries.
- As per the 2011 socio-economic caste census report, which is being used as the basis by the Centre to identify the beneficiaries under the scheme, Karnataka has 1.31 crore households.
- Of these, about 42 lakh come under the BPL bracket. The report also says that the LPG coverage is 74.8 % in the state. The Centre has set a target for itself to achieve 100% LPG coverage in three years.
- Discrepancy in the BPL data o
- The census report has become outdated.
- There is a possibility of large number of BPL families having obtained LPG connections much before the announcement of the scheme.
- As per the data collected by the oil companies, Yadgir, Koppal and Bidar districts are at the bottom of the list of poor coverage of LPG in the state.
- The oil companies have listed 13 districts where the coverage is low and, priority will be given families in these districts while issuing free connections. Kalaburagi, Raichur, Bagalkot, Gadag, Vijayapura, Haveri, Chikkaballapura, Tumakuru, Chitradurga and Chamarajnagar are the other districts in the list
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- It aims at Providing Free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This is the first time in the history of the country that the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas would implement a welfare scheme benefitting crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
- Under the scheme, Rs 8000 crore has been earmarked for providing five crore LPG connections to BPL households. This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- The Scheme provides a
- financial support of Rs 1600 for
- each LPG connection
- to the BPL households.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
- The scheme is being partly funded from the savings of the GiveItUp initiative.
The BMRDA had prepared the Structure Plan in 1998 based on the availability and future prospects in respect of the natural resources and infrastructure and the trend of urbanization in the region. The Structure Plan was ...READ MORE
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) Topic: Government Initiatives In News: In the last four years, EESL has grown its topline from Rs. 70 crore to Rs. 2,000 crore this year. EESL’s biggest achievement “Ujala” ...READ MORE
ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ಉಡಾವಣೆ ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ಗೆ ಮುಂದೂಡಿಕೆ: ಇಸ್ರೋ ಚಂದ್ರನ ಮೂಲ ಮತ್ತು ಅದರ ವಿಕಾಸದ ಕುರಿತು ವೈಜ್ಞಾನಿಕ ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ನಡೆಸಲು ಮುಂದಿನ ತಿಂಗಳು ಉಡಾವಣೆಯಾಗಬೇಕಿದ್ದ ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ ತಿಂಗಳಿಗೆ ಮುಂದೂಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ಎಂದು ಇಸ್ರೋ ತಿಳಿಸಿದೆ. ಇತ್ತೀಚೆಗೆ ನಡೆದ ತಜ್ಞರ ಸಭೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಚಂದ್ರಯಾನ-2 ನೌಕೆಯನ್ನು ಮತ್ತಷ್ಟು ...READ MORE
Only 50,000 trade licences in this booming city Despite rampant commercialisation in the city, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has issued just around 50,000 trade licences, which, RTI activists claim, ...READ MORE
ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಔಷಧಿಗಳ ಬ್ಯಾನ್ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ? 28 ಸ್ಥಿರ ಸಂಯೋಜನೆಯ ಔಷಧಿಗಳನ್ನು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಆರೋಗ್ಯ ಸಚಿವಾಲಯ ಬ್ಯಾನ್ ಮಾಡಿದೆ. ಔಷಧಿಗಳ ತಯಾರಿಕೆ, ಮಾರಾಟ ಮತ್ತು ವಿತರಣೆಯನ್ನು ತಕ್ಷಣವೇ ಜಾರಿಗೆ ಬರುವಂತೆ ನಿಷೇಧ ಮಾಡಲಾಗಿದ್ದು, ಇತರೆ 6 ಔಷಧವನ್ನು ನಿರ್ಬಂಧಿಸಿದೆ. ಇದರಿಂದ 2016ರಿಂದ ಸಂಯೋಜನೆಯ ...READ MORE
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras and its peripherals are all set to become cheaper with the Commercial Taxes department slashing the rate of Value Added Tax (VAT) on the products from ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government is planning to introduce 100% reservation to Kannadigas in blue-collar jobs in private sector industries across the state. The state labour department has released the draft amendments to ...READ MORE
1,07,354 BPL beneficiaries to get LPG connection Minister for Social Welfare and district in-charge H. Anjaneya has said that below poverty line and anthodaya card holders would be given free LPG ...READ MORE
50 new taluks from Jan. 1 The proposed 50 new taluks in the State will come into existence from January 1, Revenue Minister Kagodu Thimmappa said on 4th Dec. President Ram Nath ...READ MORE
Urban Development: Structure Plan & BBMP
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 4th March
24th ಮಾರ್ಚ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 9th
“14th ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂಬರ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka – Govt Slashes Tax On CCTV Cameras To
Karnataka plans 100% quota for locals in private
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 28th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 5th
Brazil Zika outbreak