- In the last one month, only about 50,000 BPL households have submitted applications to the three state-owned oil marketing companies — Indian Oil Corporation Bharat Petroleum Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation, seeking free LPG connections.
- Free connections will be given in the name of woman member of the BPL families under the scheme, which was launched by the Centre in May this year.
- The Centre is using money saved by it under the Give-It-Up scheme (giving up LPG subsidy on refill cylinder) to fund the scheme.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme need not pay the deposit amount of Rs 1,600 for getting new connection. But the cost of refill cylinder and gas stove has to be borne by the beneficiary.
- The oil companies, which are tasked with the responsibility of achieving 100% LPG coverage, are now in a fix as they are finding it tough to identify the beneficiaries.
- As per the 2011 socio-economic caste census report, which is being used as the basis by the Centre to identify the beneficiaries under the scheme, Karnataka has 1.31 crore households.
- Of these, about 42 lakh come under the BPL bracket. The report also says that the LPG coverage is 74.8 % in the state. The Centre has set a target for itself to achieve 100% LPG coverage in three years.
- Discrepancy in the BPL data o
- The census report has become outdated.
- There is a possibility of large number of BPL families having obtained LPG connections much before the announcement of the scheme.
- As per the data collected by the oil companies, Yadgir, Koppal and Bidar districts are at the bottom of the list of poor coverage of LPG in the state.
- The oil companies have listed 13 districts where the coverage is low and, priority will be given families in these districts while issuing free connections. Kalaburagi, Raichur, Bagalkot, Gadag, Vijayapura, Haveri, Chikkaballapura, Tumakuru, Chitradurga and Chamarajnagar are the other districts in the list
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- It aims at Providing Free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This is the first time in the history of the country that the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas would implement a welfare scheme benefitting crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
- Under the scheme, Rs 8000 crore has been earmarked for providing five crore LPG connections to BPL households. This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- The Scheme provides a
- financial support of Rs 1600 for
- each LPG connection
- to the BPL households.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
- The scheme is being partly funded from the savings of the GiveItUp initiative.
The International Tax Wing of the Income Tax Department, Bengaluru, on 8th March launched two online services aimed to help non-resident taxpayers. The services include issuance of TDS certificates for non-resident ...READ MORE
Pradhana Manthri Gram Sadak yojana (PMGSY) PMGSY was launched in the State during December 2000 with the objective of providing rural connectivity through all weather roads to the habitations having a population of 500 and above. Under ...READ MORE
In an effort to help government-run transport entities, the Karnataka State Transport Authority (KSTU) has come out with a Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA) for the entire state that bans new ...READ MORE
National Court of Appeal 1. What is a National Court of Appeal? The National Court Appeal with regional benches in Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkata is meant to act as final court of ...READ MORE
Mysuru missed the ‘Smart City’ bus yet again Slipping to fifth place in the most recent Swachh rankings, Mysuru has missed the ‘Smart City’ bus yet again. Meanwhile, Bengaluru finally made it ...READ MORE
Expected big news - Budget expected to focus on direct taxes While there are unlikely to be any major changes in indirect tax as most of them are now under the ...READ MORE
The Revised Master Plan 2031 has apparently laid the foundation for a perennially bigger garbage scam in the future. The Bengaluru Development Authority (BDA) has projected the city’s population to be ...READ MORE
ಶಬರಿಮಲೆ ಪ್ರಸಾದಕ್ಕೆ ಸಿಎಫ್ಟಿಆರ್ಐ ಮಾರ್ಗಸೂಚಿ ಶಬರಿಮಲೆ ಅಯ್ಯಪ್ಪಸ್ವಾಮಿ ದೇವಾಲಯದಲ್ಲಿ ನೀಡುವ ಪ್ರಸಾದವನ್ನು ಇನ್ನಷ್ಟು ರುಚಿಕರ ಮತ್ತು ಸ್ವಾದಿಷ್ಟವಾಗಿ ಭಕ್ತರಿಗೆ ದೊರಕಿಸಲು ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನ ಆಡಳಿತ ಮಂಡಳಿ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದ್ದು, ಇದಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಮೇ 16ರಂದು ಮೈಸೂರಿನ ಕೇಂದ್ರೀಯ ಆಹಾರ ತಂತ್ರಜ್ಞಾನ ಸಂಶೋಧನಾ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ(ಸಿಎಫ್ಟಿಆರ್ಐ) ಜತೆ ಒಪ್ಪಂದ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲಿದೆ. ಅಪ್ಪಂ ...READ MORE
Sudhir Saraf elected as new mayor for Hubballi Sudhir Saraf and Menaka Hurali of the BJP have been elected the mayor and deputy mayor of Hubballi-Dharwad City Corporation. In the elections held ...READ MORE
New online system launched for Non-Resident Taxpayers
Rural Development-Rural Roads InfrastructurePradhana Manthri Gram Sadak Yojana
Karnataka-Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA)
All you need to know about National Court
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Get ready for the Budget 2018
Bengaluru: Waste figures for 2031 inflated
“30th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 3rd
GDP grows at 7.3% in September quarter