- In the last one month, only about 50,000 BPL households have submitted applications to the three state-owned oil marketing companies — Indian Oil Corporation Bharat Petroleum Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation, seeking free LPG connections.
- Free connections will be given in the name of woman member of the BPL families under the scheme, which was launched by the Centre in May this year.
- The Centre is using money saved by it under the Give-It-Up scheme (giving up LPG subsidy on refill cylinder) to fund the scheme.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme need not pay the deposit amount of Rs 1,600 for getting new connection. But the cost of refill cylinder and gas stove has to be borne by the beneficiary.
- The oil companies, which are tasked with the responsibility of achieving 100% LPG coverage, are now in a fix as they are finding it tough to identify the beneficiaries.
- As per the 2011 socio-economic caste census report, which is being used as the basis by the Centre to identify the beneficiaries under the scheme, Karnataka has 1.31 crore households.
- Of these, about 42 lakh come under the BPL bracket. The report also says that the LPG coverage is 74.8 % in the state. The Centre has set a target for itself to achieve 100% LPG coverage in three years.
- Discrepancy in the BPL data o
- The census report has become outdated.
- There is a possibility of large number of BPL families having obtained LPG connections much before the announcement of the scheme.
- As per the data collected by the oil companies, Yadgir, Koppal and Bidar districts are at the bottom of the list of poor coverage of LPG in the state.
- The oil companies have listed 13 districts where the coverage is low and, priority will be given families in these districts while issuing free connections. Kalaburagi, Raichur, Bagalkot, Gadag, Vijayapura, Haveri, Chikkaballapura, Tumakuru, Chitradurga and Chamarajnagar are the other districts in the list
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- It aims at Providing Free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This is the first time in the history of the country that the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas would implement a welfare scheme benefitting crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
- Under the scheme, Rs 8000 crore has been earmarked for providing five crore LPG connections to BPL households. This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- The Scheme provides a
- financial support of Rs 1600 for
- each LPG connection
- to the BPL households.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
- The scheme is being partly funded from the savings of the GiveItUp initiative.
Weather-based farm advisory system to reach taluks now The country’s flagship programme of the weather forecast-based agricultural advisory system is set to become more focussed by moving to the taluk level ...READ MORE
United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS). It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support ...READ MORE
In an effort to help government-run transport entities, the Karnataka State Transport Authority (KSTU) has come out with a Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA) for the entire state that bans new ...READ MORE
As a New Year gift, the state government has decided to promote 11,000 police personnel. At a review meeting held on Wednesday, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said this is the first time ...READ MORE
Indian space agency ISRO is aiming for a world record by putting into orbit 83 satellites two Indian and 81 foreign on a single rocket in early 2017. The company’s order ...READ MORE
The 2015 Guidelines issued by the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) would replace the 2011 Adoption Guidelines. These Guidelines are intended to provide for more effective regulation for adoption of orphan, ...READ MORE
The Agriculture department is working out the modalities to set up Special Agricultural Zones (SAZ) in different parts of the state to provide greater technological and logistic support to farmers ...READ MORE
The twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad will host the State Level Olympics Games from February 3 to 10 and 275 gold, silver and bronze medals each would be awarded in as ...READ MORE
Edutrac is a mobile phone-based real time data collection system. The Union government in association with UNICEF is trying out Edutrac that helps monitoring affairs in schools Dakshina Kannada is among the three districts ...READ MORE
Weather-based farm advisory system in Karnataka
Atlas V launched to ISS
Karnataka-Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA)
Karnataka: Biggest Ever Promotion Move, 11,000 Police Personnel
ISRO Eyes World Record With Launch Of 83
Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children 2015
Special Agricultural Zone (SAZ)
Karnataka: Hubballi-Dharwad to host State Olympics Games from
Edutrac- Monitoring attendance in schools
Start ups ecosystem in India