- In the last one month, only about 50,000 BPL households have submitted applications to the three state-owned oil marketing companies — Indian Oil Corporation Bharat Petroleum Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation, seeking free LPG connections.
- Free connections will be given in the name of woman member of the BPL families under the scheme, which was launched by the Centre in May this year.
- The Centre is using money saved by it under the Give-It-Up scheme (giving up LPG subsidy on refill cylinder) to fund the scheme.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme need not pay the deposit amount of Rs 1,600 for getting new connection. But the cost of refill cylinder and gas stove has to be borne by the beneficiary.
- The oil companies, which are tasked with the responsibility of achieving 100% LPG coverage, are now in a fix as they are finding it tough to identify the beneficiaries.
- As per the 2011 socio-economic caste census report, which is being used as the basis by the Centre to identify the beneficiaries under the scheme, Karnataka has 1.31 crore households.
- Of these, about 42 lakh come under the BPL bracket. The report also says that the LPG coverage is 74.8 % in the state. The Centre has set a target for itself to achieve 100% LPG coverage in three years.
- Discrepancy in the BPL data o
- The census report has become outdated.
- There is a possibility of large number of BPL families having obtained LPG connections much before the announcement of the scheme.
- As per the data collected by the oil companies, Yadgir, Koppal and Bidar districts are at the bottom of the list of poor coverage of LPG in the state.
- The oil companies have listed 13 districts where the coverage is low and, priority will be given families in these districts while issuing free connections. Kalaburagi, Raichur, Bagalkot, Gadag, Vijayapura, Haveri, Chikkaballapura, Tumakuru, Chitradurga and Chamarajnagar are the other districts in the list
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- It aims at Providing Free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households.
- The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This is the first time in the history of the country that the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas would implement a welfare scheme benefitting crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
- Under the scheme, Rs 8000 crore has been earmarked for providing five crore LPG connections to BPL households. This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- The Scheme provides a
- financial support of Rs 1600 for
- each LPG connection
- to the BPL households.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
- The scheme is being partly funded from the savings of the GiveItUp initiative.
The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has notified the revised standards for coal-based Thermal Power Plants in the country, with the primary aim of minimising pollution. These standards are ...READ MORE
India's tallest tricolour hoisted in Belagavi, dedicated to country, state India's tallest tricolour, at a height of 110 metres, was hoisted with pomp and gaiety on the banks of Kotakere, by ...READ MORE
The state government has decided to adhere to its stand and not denotify fruits and vegetables from the Karnataka Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (Regulation and Development) Act, despite the Centre ...READ MORE
ಮಹಿಳಾ ಮತದಾರರ ಲಿಂಗಾನುಪಾತ ಹೆಚ್ಚಳ ಮತದಾರರ ಪಟ್ಟಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಲಿಂಗಾನುಪಾತದಲ್ಲಿ ಸಾಕಷ್ಟು ಸುಧಾರಣೆಯಾಗಿದೆ. 2013 ರ ಚುನಾವಣೆಯಲ್ಲಿ 1,000 ಪುರುಷರಿಗೆ 958 ಇದ್ದ ಮಹಿಳೆಯರ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆ ಈ ಚುನಾವಣೆ ವೇಳೆ 974ಕ್ಕೆ ಏರಿಕೆಯಾಗಿದೆ ಎಂದು ಮುಖ್ಯ ಚುನಾವಣಾಧಿಕಾರಿ ಸಂಜೀವ್ಕುಮಾರ್ ತಿಳಿಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಏ.14ಕ್ಕೆ ಮುಕ್ತಾಯವಾದ ಮತದಾರರ ನೋಂದಣಿ ...READ MORE
Unable to enforce segregation of waste at source or run processing plants without citizens protesting, the city’s planners have hit upon a novel solution. They are planning to load the garbage ...READ MORE
The Centre is planning to revive a cluster of gold mines at Kolar Gold Fields shut for 15 years but with an estimated $2.1 billion worth of deposits left as ...READ MORE
As the froth in Bellandur and Varthur lakes evoke shock and disgust from citizens, an 18-member expert committee formed to chalk out a solution had noticed that there were “too ...READ MORE
ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ ಮುಡಿಗೆ ಮತ್ತೊಂದು ಗರಿ: ದೇಶದ ಸರ್ವಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಪ್ರತಿಷ್ಠಿತ ಭಾರತೀಯ ವಿಜ್ಞಾನ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ (ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ) ಮುಡಿಗೆ ಹಿರಿಮೆಯ ಮತ್ತೊಂದು ಗರಿ ಸೇರ್ಪಡೆಯಾಗಿದೆ. ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ದೇಶದ ಅತ್ಯುತ್ತಮ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ ಎಂದು ಮಾನವ ಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲ ಅಭಿವೃದ್ಧಿ (ಎಚ್ಆರ್ಡಿ) ಸಚಿವಾಲಯ ...READ MORE
First State-owned wayside amenity centre to come up in Chittapur soon The first government-owned roadside multi-amenity centre to cater the basic needs of tourists and travellers is going to be established ...READ MORE
Stricter Standards for Coal Based Thermal Power Plants
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 11th
Karnataka State will not denotify fruits & vegetables
2nd ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
Waste Management: A goods train to transport city’s
Govt to consider reviving KGF that has $2
Bellandur Lake: British firm offers to revive the
“4th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 20th
All you need to know- Bank consolidation