- The fast food or QSR, format took off in India about 19 years ago with the arrival of McDonald’s in 1996. Many global brands followed the suit since then, either through company-owned stores or the franchisee model, or a mix of both.
- The chain space is marked by the presence of more than 120 brands with more than 4,000 outlets spread across various cities in India.
- The sector in India is currently growing at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25 per cent and is likely to touch Rs.25,000 crore mark by 2020 from the current level of Rs.8,500, according to an analysis by apex industry body Assocham.
Reasons for growth
- Entry of various national and international players
- Fast expanding middle class
- youth spending,
- nuclear families
- better logistics
- increased participation of women in the workforce,
- increased exposure to international cuisine and
- needs for elevated protein consumption
- The QSR segment is expected to witness increased activity via market expansion and entry by various players
- At the city level, a large share of the QSR market rests in metros and mini metros due to higher consumption, heightened consumer awareness, and exposure in key cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Hyderabad.
- Slowly, QSRs have established their footholds in the major cities and are now expanding into smaller cities with smaller formats.
- To withstand the competition, most of the players are tailoring their offerings in terms of flavours, pricing and services to meet Indian consumers’ inclinations.
- Some efforts reflecting this include the opening of pure vegetarian restaurants in certain parts of the country, offering no beef-based products, establishing separate cooking areas for vegetarian and non vegetarian food, introducing local flavours in the menu, offering home delivery services etc.
- With the entry of Indian and international brands into the space encouraging affordable eating and enabling the indulgence of even customers with smaller pockets.
- The market is quite competitive in nature with players operating via core menu offerings and introducing variations in Indian and international foods.
- A noteworthy aspect is the focus of Indian players on multiple cuisines, which contrasts the international players’ focusing on a single cuisine or product category
The Surya Kiran series of military exercises are being conducted annually, alternatively in India and Nepal. Surya Kiran series of military exercises with Nepal is largest in terms of troop’s ...READ MORE
Govt. to hike housing subsidy for beedi workers & miners Ministry for Labour and Employment has proposed a nearly four-fold increase in the housing subsidy for beedi workers and miners employed ...READ MORE
The Supreme Court has upheld a colonial and pre-Constitutional law criminalising defamation. The challenge to the validity of Section 499 and 500 of the IPC was undoubtedly the biggest free speech issue to ...READ MORE
Aadhaar Bill Finance Minister Arun Jaitley introduced the Aadhaar Bill, 2016, in the Lok Sabha. Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016 The Bill provides statutory backing ...READ MORE
Reforming criminals Judgement was given in a majority judgment of the five-judge Constitution Bench led by Chief Justice of India H.L. Dattu observed in the Rajiv Gandhi killers’ remission case. They noted that ...READ MORE
What is apprenticeship? An apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a trade or profession with on-the-job training and often some accompanying study (classroom work and ...READ MORE
The government is looking to leverage its Common Services Centres (CSCs) to enable easy access to banking services, particularly in rural areas. The withdrawal facility has already been introduced at the ...READ MORE
The Cabinet approved Rs. 2,000 crore for the rehabilitation of Kashmiris who moved to different parts of India in the early 1990s and began to be recognised as migrants. It will ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
10th Indo-Nepal Joint Exercise Surya Kiran Commences
Revised Integrated Housing Scheme of 2007
SC upholds law on criminal defamation
Aadhar Bill 2016
SC judgement : Remission of sentences
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
Govt. to tap CSCs for rural banking access
Economic package for Kashmiri migrants’ rehabilitation
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot