- The fast food or QSR, format took off in India about 19 years ago with the arrival of McDonald’s in 1996. Many global brands followed the suit since then, either through company-owned stores or the franchisee model, or a mix of both.
- The chain space is marked by the presence of more than 120 brands with more than 4,000 outlets spread across various cities in India.
- The sector in India is currently growing at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25 per cent and is likely to touch Rs.25,000 crore mark by 2020 from the current level of Rs.8,500, according to an analysis by apex industry body Assocham.
Reasons for growth
- Entry of various national and international players
- Fast expanding middle class
- youth spending,
- nuclear families
- better logistics
- increased participation of women in the workforce,
- increased exposure to international cuisine and
- needs for elevated protein consumption
- The QSR segment is expected to witness increased activity via market expansion and entry by various players
- At the city level, a large share of the QSR market rests in metros and mini metros due to higher consumption, heightened consumer awareness, and exposure in key cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Hyderabad.
- Slowly, QSRs have established their footholds in the major cities and are now expanding into smaller cities with smaller formats.
- To withstand the competition, most of the players are tailoring their offerings in terms of flavours, pricing and services to meet Indian consumers’ inclinations.
- Some efforts reflecting this include the opening of pure vegetarian restaurants in certain parts of the country, offering no beef-based products, establishing separate cooking areas for vegetarian and non vegetarian food, introducing local flavours in the menu, offering home delivery services etc.
- With the entry of Indian and international brands into the space encouraging affordable eating and enabling the indulgence of even customers with smaller pockets.
- The market is quite competitive in nature with players operating via core menu offerings and introducing variations in Indian and international foods.
- A noteworthy aspect is the focus of Indian players on multiple cuisines, which contrasts the international players’ focusing on a single cuisine or product category
The National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) is leading the National Mental Health Survey (NMHS) with support from the Union Health Ministry A team of nearly 60 experts from ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
Government plans to set up 2,000 waterports as well as "Ro-Ro" services at 5 select places to transport goods and vehicles Besides, there is a plan to develop 1,300 islands and ...READ MORE
Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu unveiled a list of 98 cities with Uttar Pradesh taking the largest share of developing 13 smart cities followed by Tamil Nadu, which qualified to ...READ MORE
What is Jallikattu? Jallikattu is an ancient bull taming blood sport played in Tamil Nadu. It's a part of Pongal celebrations on Mattu Pongal day According to experts, the term Jallikattu is derived ...READ MORE
National Judicial Reference System (NJRS) is an electronic repository of cases under the direct taxes category or income tax pending in legal forums like the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT), ...READ MORE
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) has been operationalised from 1st July, 2015 with the objective of enhancing irrigation coverage and improving the delivery system ...READ MORE
Signalling a new insurgent strategy, at least three small militant groups have continued to engage the Army after surprise attacks on security forces, by retreating into heavily forested ranges of ...READ MORE
The Indian Air Force is commencing its annual exercise, Exercise Livewire, on 31 October 2015. The exercise involves utilization of air assets of all types available with the IAF. The aim of ...READ MORE
In a major relief for domestic manufacturers of ammonium nitrate (AN) and security agencies, the Ministry of Home Affairs is learnt to have asked Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion ...READ MORE
Mental health survey by NIMHANS
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot
Govt plans to set up 2,000 waterports; 30
Centre unveils list of 98 smart cities
Jallikattu Explained – History – Controversy – PETA
National Judicial Reference System
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
New militant tactics in Kashmir
Govt bans import of ammonium nitrate in loose