- The fast food or QSR, format took off in India about 19 years ago with the arrival of McDonald’s in 1996. Many global brands followed the suit since then, either through company-owned stores or the franchisee model, or a mix of both.
- The chain space is marked by the presence of more than 120 brands with more than 4,000 outlets spread across various cities in India.
- The sector in India is currently growing at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25 per cent and is likely to touch Rs.25,000 crore mark by 2020 from the current level of Rs.8,500, according to an analysis by apex industry body Assocham.
Reasons for growth
- Entry of various national and international players
- Fast expanding middle class
- youth spending,
- nuclear families
- better logistics
- increased participation of women in the workforce,
- increased exposure to international cuisine and
- needs for elevated protein consumption
- The QSR segment is expected to witness increased activity via market expansion and entry by various players
- At the city level, a large share of the QSR market rests in metros and mini metros due to higher consumption, heightened consumer awareness, and exposure in key cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Hyderabad.
- Slowly, QSRs have established their footholds in the major cities and are now expanding into smaller cities with smaller formats.
- To withstand the competition, most of the players are tailoring their offerings in terms of flavours, pricing and services to meet Indian consumers’ inclinations.
- Some efforts reflecting this include the opening of pure vegetarian restaurants in certain parts of the country, offering no beef-based products, establishing separate cooking areas for vegetarian and non vegetarian food, introducing local flavours in the menu, offering home delivery services etc.
- With the entry of Indian and international brands into the space encouraging affordable eating and enabling the indulgence of even customers with smaller pockets.
- The market is quite competitive in nature with players operating via core menu offerings and introducing variations in Indian and international foods.
- A noteworthy aspect is the focus of Indian players on multiple cuisines, which contrasts the international players’ focusing on a single cuisine or product category
Why in news The National Green Tribunal’s (NGT) Southern Bench has directed the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) to initiate immediate action, including launching of prosecution against 21 hospitals, after ...READ MORE
What is this RLV-TD? Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstration Program or RLV-TD is a series of technology demonstration missions that have been considered as a first step towards realizing a Two Stage ...READ MORE
1. Committee to simplify IT Act 1961 It has set up a committee in order to simplify the provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The committee will be chaired by ...READ MORE
Indian Railways has initiated a comprehensive proposal in collaboration with The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to revamp Mumbai’s Bandra Sub-Urban Station Under an agreement between Indian Railways ...READ MORE
India’s increasingly young workforce appears to have signalled the beginning of the end for the trade union movement in the country The survey of over 8,000 employees in a dozen large ...READ MORE
What is apprenticeship? An apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a trade or profession with on-the-job training and often some accompanying study (classroom work and ...READ MORE
The Munak Canal in Haryana’s Mundela village, which brings 80 million gallons per day of water to Delhi, became a target of Jats protesting for reservation in Haryana last week. First, ...READ MORE
The report was commissioned to identify the changing dynamics of the workforce with regard to prevention of sexual harassment of women, revealed that uncertainty, caution and introspection were highly prevalent ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated First National Tribal Carnival-2016 in New Delhi on 25th Oct The tribal carnival would showcase the capabilities of the tribal communities, in the national capital. The Prime ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
Biomedical waste Management Rules, 2016
REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR PROGRAM (RLV –
Measures to increase tax compliance
Bandra Station- Queen of suburbs
Deloitte-CII survey on manufacturing firms
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
Water crisis in Delhi – call for action
Fostering Safe Workplaces- Report by FICCI – EY
National Tribal Carnival 2016
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot