- Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) are in the news, with analysts bullish about the potential in India and the Securities and Exchange Board of India looking to tweak norms – a process that will begin as early as next week including circulation of a consultation paper to amend the regulations of 2014, to encourage investments. Here is a ready-reckoner that will help in understanding what an REIT is, how it works, and the potential investment risks:
What are REITs?
- REITs are similar to mutual funds. While mutual funds provide for an opportunity to invest in equity stocks, REITs allow one to invest in income-generating real estate assets.
How does an REIT work?
- REITs raise funds from a large number of investors and directly invest that sum in income-generating real estate properties (which could be offices, residential apartments, shopping centres, hotels and warehouses).
- The trusts are listed in stock exchanges so that investors can buy units in the trust. REITs are structured as trusts. Thus, the assets of an REIT are held by an independent trustee on behalf of unit holders.
- The investment objective of REITs is to provide unit holders with dividends, usually generated from rental income and capital gains from the profitable sale of real estate assets.
- Typically, the trust distributes 90 per cent of its income among its investors by issuing dividends.
- REITs originated in the U.S. to give investors an opportunity to invest in income-generating real estate assets. After its introduction in the U.S., several countries such as Singapore, Australia and Hong Kong have implemented REITs.
Why now, in India?
- REITs, as a concept, have been on the horizon for a while now.
- India’sregulations in 2014 for the sector have not been able to attract investor interest. REITs obtained exemption from dividend distribution tax in the Budget, a step towards making them attractive for the investors.
- A report by real estate consultancy firm Cushman and Wakefield estimates that Indian commercial real estate (like office, retail assets) offers investment opportunities for REITs worth $43 billion – $54 billion (Rs, 2.88 lakh crore – Rs. 3.60 lakh crore) across top cities.
- The underlying strategy for REIT is to invest in rent-yielding assets and generate rental income for investors in the form of dividends. That explains why commercial real estate is seen as potential for REITs. The predominant strategy to invest in residential assets is via rental housing schemes. However, rental housing schemes in India are still not prevalent and hence investing in residential assets would be challenging
- The current SEBI guidelines for REITs permit investments only in rent-yielding assets.
Why invest in REITs?
- For investors who are averse to investing in physical purchase of property due to the risks involved, REIT is an alternative. Investors purchase units of REITs which are traded on the stock exchange, as against physical purchase of property. Therefore, investors can buy and sell units of REIT on the stock exchange as and when required, making investment easier to liquidate compared to physical property transaction.
- REITs units are listed on, and are subject to the vagaries of the stock exchanges, resulting in negative or lower returns than expected.
The incidents of cross-border firing have shown a sharp decline after the border guarding forces of the two countries decided to “pick up the phone before picking up the gun”, ...READ MORE
MeitY launches internship scheme for Tech students In an effort to enhance skills of the youngsters, Ministry of Electronics and Information technology (MeitY) on Wednesday has launched ‘Digital India Internship Scheme’ ...READ MORE
ಪೌರತ್ವ ಪಡೆದ ವಿಶ್ವದ ಮೊದಲ ರೋಬೊ ಮನದಾಳ ಪೌರತ್ವ ಪಡೆದಿರುವ ವಿಶ್ವದ ಮೊದಲ ರೋಬೊ ಸೋಫಿಯಾಗೆ ನಟ ಶಾರುಕ್ ಖಾನ್ ಎಂದರೆ ಬಹಳ ಇಷ್ಟವಂತೆ. ಇಲ್ಲಿ ನಡೆಯುತ್ತಿರುವ ವಿಶ್ವ ಮಾಹಿತಿ ತಂತ್ರಜ್ಞಾನ ಸಮ್ಮೇಳನದಲ್ಲಿ ನಡೆದ ಸಂವಾದದ ವೇಳೆ ತಾನು ಶಾರುಕ್ನ ಬಹು ದೊಡ್ಡ ಅಭಿಮಾನಿ ...READ MORE
ಮನೆಗೊಬ್ಬರು ಯೋಗಪಟು ಯೋಜನೆ ದೇಶದ 500 ಗ್ರಾಮಗಳನ್ನು ‘ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣ ಯೋಗ ಗ್ರಾಮ’ಗಳಾಗಿ ರೂಪಿಸುವ ಉಪಕ್ರಮವೊಂದನ್ನು ಆಯುಷ್ ಸಚಿವಾಲಯ ಹಮ್ಮಿಕೊಂಡಿದೆ. ಪ್ರತಿ ಮನೆಯ ಕನಿಷ್ಠ ಒಬ್ಬ ವ್ಯಕ್ತಿ ನಿಯಮಿತವಾಗಿ ಯೋಗ ಅಭ್ಯಾಸ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು ಎಂಬುದು ಈ ಯೋಜನೆಯ ತಿರುಳು. ಜೂನ್ 21ರ ಅಂತರರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಯೋಗ ದಿನಕ್ಕೂ ...READ MORE
Karnataka Draft film policy Why in News: The committee, headed by Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy chairman S V Rajendra Singh Babu, submitted its Kannada Film Policy report to Chief Minister Karnataka Film Chambers of ...READ MORE
TO download click here Congratulation to all those who have cleared. Join the nammaKPSC movement and clear the mains with us. Here is the simplest approach to get you started. NammaKPSC test series. ...READ MORE
Kanaja, an encyclopaedic knowledge portal in Kannada, is expected to be rejuvenated, with the government giving the responsibility of handling the project to the Department of Kannada and Culture. Till recently, ...READ MORE
ಅಂತಾರಾಜ್ಯ ಜಲವಿವಾದ ಕೋಶ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಜಲ ಆಯೋಗದ ನಿರಂತರ ಎಚ್ಚರಿಕೆಯ ಬಳಿಕವೂ ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿನ ಅಂತಾರಾಜ್ಯ ಜಲವಿವಾದ ಕೋಶವನ್ನು (ಐಎಸ್ಡಬ್ಲ್ಯುಡಿ) ಅತಂತ್ರ ಸ್ಥಿತಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ಇಡಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಜಲಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲ ಇಲಾಖೆಯ ಜಲಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲ ಅಭಿವೃದ್ಧಿ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯಡಿ (ಡಬ್ಲ್ಯುಆರ್ಡಿಒ) ಅಂತಾರಾಜ್ಯ ಜಲವಿವಾದ ಕೋಶವಿದೆ. ನೆರೆ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳೊಂದಿಗಿನ ನದಿ ನೀರು ...READ MORE
Case studies are designed to confront readers with specific real-life problems that do not lend themselves to easy answers. Many of the skills necessary to analyze case studies can become ...READ MORE
What is this RLV-TD? Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstration Program or RLV-TD is a series of technology demonstration missions that have been considered as a first step towards realizing a Two Stage ...READ MORE
DG-level talks with Pak bears fruit
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 10th
1st ಮಾರ್ಚ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
20th ಮಾರ್ಚ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
KAS Challengers 2016: About Karnataka Draft Film Policy
KAS Prelims results 2017
Reviving Kanaja under Kannada & Culture Department
“18th ಜೂನ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Approach To Ethical Decision Making
REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR PROGRAM (RLV –