- Homeless rural residents of Karnataka will now get additional funds to build their houses
- In a first for the country, the State government has decided to dovetail funds meant for subsidised housing schemes under various departments with the MNREGA scheme that pays the wages of individuals, who work to build their homes.
- Till now, three different subsidised housing schemes under the housing and rural development departments paid around Rs. 40,000 to each poor beneficiary in three to four instalments. Now, they will get an additional Rs. 20,000 under MNREGA as wages for the person-days they spend on construction of the house. This is estimated to provide Rs. 520 crore to 2.6 lakh beneficiaries of housing schemes in 6,068 gram panchayats.
- This new concept will help the rural poor as it releases around Rs. 500 crore in the next 100 days
- A target of at least 50 beneficiaries per gram panchayat. Work orders are to be issued before the last week of March and work should be completed in three months.
- There is no chance of diversion of funds as every rupee is electronically transferred to the beneficiary’s account every 14 days. Gram panchayat officials can draw money directly from a central account after due certification.
- It will boost rural spending and help utilise funds from the central scheme by changing gears
- Pace of work on housing schemes in some district has been slow. It is expected to pick up as the works will be reviewed repeatedly by senior officials of the Panchayat Raj and Housing Department
- The pace of work on these schemes is generally lower in the HK region compared to other revenue divisions. Special emphasis will be laid in this region
- Effective utilization of funds due to usage of electronic transfer of funds and preventing leakage.
About World Radio Day World Radio Day is observed on February 13 to celebrate radio as a medium to promote and access information. After originally proposed by the Kingdom of Spain, UNESCO ...READ MORE
Padma Awards are the highest civilian Awards of the country conferred in three categories Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. This year, President of India Pranab Mukherjee approved conferment of ...READ MORE
Faced with acute water shortage, particularly during the summer months, Bengaluru is struggling hard to cope . If this is the scenario now, how scary will it be in 2031? ...READ MORE
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of embryos Britain granted its first licence for the genetic modification of human embryos as part of research into infertility and why miscarriages happen, ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
By the end of the year, India expects to freeze the design for the largest battleship ever built for the Indian Navy. It will also be one of the largest carriers ...READ MORE
A total of 87 infrastructure projects with a combined value of Rs.87,518.77 crore are underway in Karnataka and transportation projects are leading the way with around 52 projects worth Rs.36,237 ...READ MORE
Karnataka MobileOne, the flagship application launched by the State government in 2014, bagged the Gold award at the World Governance Summit in Dubai Secretary, Department of e-Governance, Srivatsa Krishna, received the ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt planning to hike quota ceiling to 72% Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 26th March said that his government was exploring the possibility of increasing the reservation ceiling in education and employment ...READ MORE
Govt eases process of issuing BPL cards The state government on 20th March decided to simplify the procedure for issuing below poverty line ration cards, with an eye on the Assembly ...READ MORE
World Radio Day 2017 – ‘Radio is You’!
Padma Awards: Seven Padma awardees from Karnataka –
Bengaluru’s water needs in 2031: Master Plan paints
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
Design for second domestic aircraft carrier to be
Infrastructure projects underway in Karnataka
Karnataka MobileOne bags award
Karnataka – State Update- KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka – Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams –