The Agriculture department is working out the modalities to set up Special Agricultural Zones (SAZ) in different parts of the state to provide greater technological and logistic support to farmers for increasing farm productivity.
- The objective of the programme was to encourage farmers use the latest technology for increasing agricultural productivity by providing better facilities in the specially carved out zones.
- The department is working on an action plan to fix the parameters to chalk out SAZs in various parts of the state and it is expected to be ready by end of the month.
- These zones are different from Special Economic Zones (SEZ) formed for industries where trade and tax laws differ from the rest of the country to attract investment.
- The University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) at Bengaluru, Dharwad, Raichur and Shivamogga will be roped in while identifying the SAZs.
- The department is also contemplating to provide efficient power, water supply, storage and transportation facilities for agricultural activities once the SAZs are carved out.
- The aim is also to increase the income of farmers by improving agricultural productivity.
- To start with, pulse-growing regions in the state will be given priority while carving out SAZs.
- Karnataka stands sixth in the production of pulses in the country with Belagavi, Raichur, Vijayapura, Bidar, Dharwad and Chitradurga being the major pulse growing districts in the state.
- The state has already decided to further increase pulses production on a “mission-mode” as the year 2016 is being observed as ‘International Year of Pulses’
- The department is planning to carve out the first batch of SAZs by mid-June when sowing starts and at the same time is keeping its fingers crossed hoping for good monsoons this year.
- Uttarakhand, in 2011, became one of the first states in the country to set up SAZs. However, the concept is a little different there. Farmers are encouraged if they come forward for cultivating species to develop high quality seeds of crops typical to hill regions like Uttarakhand.
Council passes Road Safety Authority Bill The Karnataka State Road Safety Authority Bill, 2017, which seeks to curb accidents by making roads safer was passed in the Council on 16th Nov. The ...READ MORE
Why In News: The tiger conservation programme of Bhadra National Park has got a shot in the arm with the Central government giving its nod for a Rs 9-crore action ...READ MORE
The State government has borrowed Rs 90,000 crore during the last four years. The total debt stock in 2012-13, when the present Congress government came to power, stood at Rs 1.18 ...READ MORE
The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has notified the revised standards for coal-based Thermal Power Plants in the country, with the primary aim of minimising pollution. These standards are ...READ MORE
Community health officers to help mitigate problem of doctors shortage Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI) is one among the two medical institutions in the State selected by the Ministry ...READ MORE
The government is striving to introduce five more labour reform legislations in the winter session of Parliament, including the bills to introduce a new wage and industrial relations code and ...READ MORE
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme has been in operation in all the districts of Karnataka State since 2006-07 which is being implemented in a phased manner. The primary ...READ MORE
What causes pilot whales to get disoriented? Pilot whales are highly sensitive to noise pollution, caused by man-made sounds that interfere with echolocation. This makes them susceptible to disorientation from a ...READ MORE
Aadhaar seeding helps in weeding out 8.5 lakh bogus ration cards in state Aadhaar seeding of ration cards has helped weed out 8.5 lakh bogus cards. The Food and Civil Supplies department ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 17th
NammaKPSC Classroom: KAS 2016-17 challengers- All About Bhadra
K’taka: State govt’s debt stock mounts to whopping
Stricter Standards for Coal Based Thermal Power Plants
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Labour reform bills to be introduced
Rural Development- Rural Employment and Livelihood-
Beaching of whales
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 4th
U.S. considers re-merger of India, Pakistan desks