The Agriculture department is working out the modalities to set up Special Agricultural Zones (SAZ) in different parts of the state to provide greater technological and logistic support to farmers for increasing farm productivity.
- The objective of the programme was to encourage farmers use the latest technology for increasing agricultural productivity by providing better facilities in the specially carved out zones.
- The department is working on an action plan to fix the parameters to chalk out SAZs in various parts of the state and it is expected to be ready by end of the month.
- These zones are different from Special Economic Zones (SEZ) formed for industries where trade and tax laws differ from the rest of the country to attract investment.
- The University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) at Bengaluru, Dharwad, Raichur and Shivamogga will be roped in while identifying the SAZs.
- The department is also contemplating to provide efficient power, water supply, storage and transportation facilities for agricultural activities once the SAZs are carved out.
- The aim is also to increase the income of farmers by improving agricultural productivity.
- To start with, pulse-growing regions in the state will be given priority while carving out SAZs.
- Karnataka stands sixth in the production of pulses in the country with Belagavi, Raichur, Vijayapura, Bidar, Dharwad and Chitradurga being the major pulse growing districts in the state.
- The state has already decided to further increase pulses production on a “mission-mode” as the year 2016 is being observed as ‘International Year of Pulses’
- The department is planning to carve out the first batch of SAZs by mid-June when sowing starts and at the same time is keeping its fingers crossed hoping for good monsoons this year.
- Uttarakhand, in 2011, became one of the first states in the country to set up SAZs. However, the concept is a little different there. Farmers are encouraged if they come forward for cultivating species to develop high quality seeds of crops typical to hill regions like Uttarakhand.
India's Act East Policy focusses on the extended neighbourhood in the Asia-Pacific region. The policy which was originally conceived as an economic initiative, has gained political, strategic and cultural dimensions including ...READ MORE
The passage of 74th CAA has provided new opportunities for urban governance reforms in the country. The municipal bodies have for the first time been provided the constitutional status of the ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
A total of 87 infrastructure projects with a combined value of Rs.87,518.77 crore are underway in Karnataka and transportation projects are leading the way with around 52 projects worth Rs.36,237 ...READ MORE
Religious diktat enforced more than a millennium ago can have repercussions in genetic make-up of modern-day Indians. This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from ...READ MORE
ಸಂವಿಧಾನ ಶಿಲ್ಪಿ ಡಾ.ಬಿ.ಆರ್. ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ಅವರ 125ನೇ ಜಯಂತಿ ಅಂಗವಾಗಿ 2015–16ನೇ ಸಾಲಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟರಿಗೆ ವಸತಿ ಒದಗಿಸಲು ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ನಿವಾಸ ಯೋಜನೆ ಜಾರಿಗೆ ಸಂಪುಟ ಒಪ್ಪಿಗೆ ಸೂಚಿಸಿದೆ. ‘ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಜಾತಿ ಮತ್ತು ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಪಂಗಡದ ಉಪಯೋಜನೆಯ ಅಡಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ಈ ಯೋಜನೆಗೆ ಅನುದಾನ ಹೊಂದಿಸಲಾಗುವುದು. ಗ್ರಾಮೀಣ ...READ MORE
An estimated million people are joining India’s workforce every month, thanks to its demographic dividend of a high number of youth in the population. As of now, the only employment data ...READ MORE
Cable TV Services in Urban Areas will be digital from 1st January 2016 The cable TV is one of the most popular medium of mass entertainment & education. The country has ...READ MORE
Self Employment Programme The Government of India, Ministry of Rural Development has restructured SGSY as “Aajeevika”- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) and being implemented from 2010-2011. The State Government is implementing this ...READ MORE
Why in News: The 17th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 17 and 18 September in Margarita Island, northeast of Venezuela, in ...READ MORE
Act East Policy
Urban Development – 74th Constitutional Amendment Act
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
Infrastructure projects underway in Karnataka
Genetics throws light on genesis of caste system
ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ನಿವಾಸ ಯೋಜನೆ
Govt plans to institute one of its kind Annual
Cable TV digitisation
Rural Development-Self Employment Programme
Explained: NAM “Non Aligned Movement”- Important for IAS/KAS