The Agriculture department is working out the modalities to set up Special Agricultural Zones (SAZ) in different parts of the state to provide greater technological and logistic support to farmers for increasing farm productivity.
- The objective of the programme was to encourage farmers use the latest technology for increasing agricultural productivity by providing better facilities in the specially carved out zones.
- The department is working on an action plan to fix the parameters to chalk out SAZs in various parts of the state and it is expected to be ready by end of the month.
- These zones are different from Special Economic Zones (SEZ) formed for industries where trade and tax laws differ from the rest of the country to attract investment.
- The University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) at Bengaluru, Dharwad, Raichur and Shivamogga will be roped in while identifying the SAZs.
- The department is also contemplating to provide efficient power, water supply, storage and transportation facilities for agricultural activities once the SAZs are carved out.
- The aim is also to increase the income of farmers by improving agricultural productivity.
- To start with, pulse-growing regions in the state will be given priority while carving out SAZs.
- Karnataka stands sixth in the production of pulses in the country with Belagavi, Raichur, Vijayapura, Bidar, Dharwad and Chitradurga being the major pulse growing districts in the state.
- The state has already decided to further increase pulses production on a “mission-mode” as the year 2016 is being observed as ‘International Year of Pulses’
- The department is planning to carve out the first batch of SAZs by mid-June when sowing starts and at the same time is keeping its fingers crossed hoping for good monsoons this year.
- Uttarakhand, in 2011, became one of the first states in the country to set up SAZs. However, the concept is a little different there. Farmers are encouraged if they come forward for cultivating species to develop high quality seeds of crops typical to hill regions like Uttarakhand.
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
What is congenital hypothyroidism? Congenital hypothyroidism (CHT) is a condition resulting from an absent or under-developed thyroid gland (dysgenesis) or one that has developed but cannot make thyroid hormone because of ...READ MORE
Bank consolidation India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) formally started merger of 5 associative banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank with itself. The merged entity will have India’s one-fourth of ...READ MORE
As the froth in Bellandur and Varthur lakes evoke shock and disgust from citizens, an 18-member expert committee formed to chalk out a solution had noticed that there were “too ...READ MORE
A new chapter in the country’s transport sector has been initiated which moves towards clean fuel, India’s first liquefied natural gas-driven bus was launched in Kerala. Union Petroleum and Natural Gas ...READ MORE
PSLV-C31 successfully put into orbit IRNSS-1E, the fifth satellite of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) after its succesful launch from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), SHAR, Sriharikota PSLV-C31 ...READ MORE
Karnataka will depict various stages of coffee-making, from plucking of beans to making of filter coffee, in a captivating tableau during the Republic Day parade From women plucking coffee beans to ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Pulse polio immunisation in two phases To create awareness on the upcoming pulse polio drive among citizens, a rally was organised by the BBMP and the Rotary Club on 31st March. Nursing ...READ MORE
To strengthen Karnataka and Bengaluru as organic hubs for both farmers and marketers, the state government will hold a first-of-its kind ‘National Trade Fair - Organics and Millets-2017’ from April ...READ MORE
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Karnataka: Doctors want govt to mandate hypothyroidism test
All you need to know- Bank consolidation
Bellandur Lake: British firm offers to revive the
Kerala becomes first State in India to roll
PSLV-C31 launches IRNSS-1E
Kodagu: The Coffee Land of Karnataka- To be
Karnataka State Current Affairs – 1st April 2017
Karnataka: 3-day national organic, millet fair in B’luru
ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ನಿವಾಸ ಯೋಜನೆ