- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- They are an intergovernmental set of aspiration Goals with 169 targets.
- The Goals are contained in United Nations Resolution which acts as the Post 2015 Development Agenda (successor to the Millennium Development Goals)
- On 25 September 2015, the 193 countries of the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Development Agenda titled Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Description and agenda
The Official Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted outlines the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and its associated 169 targets.This included the following goals:
- Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Food – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Health – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Women – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Water – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Energy – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Economy – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Infrastructure – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Habitation – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Consumption – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Climate – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Marine-ecosystems – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Ecosystems – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Institutions – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Sustainability – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and SDGs
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network.
- Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
- It provides expert advice, training, and grant support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
- The status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP Administrator is the third highest-ranking official of the United Nations after the United Nations Secretary-Generaland Deputy Secretary-General.
- To accomplish the MDGs and encourage global development, UNDP focuses on poverty reduction, HIV/AIDS, democratic governance, energy and environment, social development, and crisis prevention and recovery.
- UNDP also encourages the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women in all of its programmes.
- The UNDP Human Development Report Office also publishes an annual Human Development Report (since 1990) to measure and analyse developmental progress. In addition to a global Report, UNDP publishes regional, national, and local Human Development Reports.
- UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from member nations. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
- Additionally, the UNDP works internationally to help countries achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Currently, the UNDP is one of the main UN agencies involved in the development of the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
- UNDP works with nations on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and its wide range of partners.
Pantharapalya slum is situated near Rajarajeshwarinagar in land of 6 A. 4 G. declared by KSDB during 2001. There are 1088 families with 6000 population belonging to different sections of the ...READ MORE
Almost nine percent of popular apps downloaded from Google Play interact with websites that could compromise users’ security and privacy, according to a new University of California, Riverside study. The team ...READ MORE
BBMP launches ‘Fix My Street’ app In a bid to ensure speedy redressal of civic grievances, the BBMP has launched an app called ‘Fix My Street’. The app, which was rolled out ...READ MORE
Karnataka State sets up 7th pay commission The State government on 1st June constituted the seventh pay commission and appointed the former IAS officer Srinivas Murthy as its chairman. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ...READ MORE
ವಿವಿಧ ಅರಸರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಿನ್ನಾಭಿಪ್ರಾಯ ಮೂಡಿಸಿ ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಒಡೆದು ಆಳುವ ನೀತಿ ಅನುಸರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಆದರೆ, ಪಟೇಲ್ ಅವರು ಎಲ್ಲಾ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಭಾರತದ ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರು . ಅರಸರ ಆಡಳಿತದಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಪಟೇಲರು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಚಾತುರ್ಯ ತೋರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಚಾಣಕ್ಯನೂ ದೇಶವನ್ನು ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
Introduction ∗ Cogeneration is the use of a heat engine or a power station to simultaneously generate both electricity and useful heat. ∗ Co-generation is defined as the combined generation of electric ...READ MORE
The Government has launched Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) in the country. The aim, objective and salient features of CCTNS are : To fully computerize the process of crime ...READ MORE
Rural Energy Programmes National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector. National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP) Biogas is a clean, ...READ MORE
Sericulture farmers in Karnataka, India’s leading raw silk producing State, are disappointed over the Union Budget’s failure to increase the customs duty on import of raw silk. The customs duty on ...READ MORE
Urban Development Karnataka -Successful Initiatives – BSUP
Safety concerns of apps
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 14th Dec
Karnataka Current Affairs for KAS / KPSC Exams
‘ಒಂದೇ ಭಾರತ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಭಾರತ’ ಚಾಲನೆ
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems
Rural Development-Rural Energy Programmes-National Biogas Manure and Management
Sericulture farmers in state disappointed with the budget