- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- They are an intergovernmental set of aspiration Goals with 169 targets.
- The Goals are contained in United Nations Resolution which acts as the Post 2015 Development Agenda (successor to the Millennium Development Goals)
- On 25 September 2015, the 193 countries of the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Development Agenda titled Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Description and agenda
The Official Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted outlines the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and its associated 169 targets.This included the following goals:
- Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Food – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Health – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Women – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Water – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Energy – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Economy – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Infrastructure – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Habitation – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Consumption – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Climate – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Marine-ecosystems – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Ecosystems – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Institutions – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Sustainability – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and SDGs
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network.
- Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
- It provides expert advice, training, and grant support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
- The status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP Administrator is the third highest-ranking official of the United Nations after the United Nations Secretary-Generaland Deputy Secretary-General.
- To accomplish the MDGs and encourage global development, UNDP focuses on poverty reduction, HIV/AIDS, democratic governance, energy and environment, social development, and crisis prevention and recovery.
- UNDP also encourages the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women in all of its programmes.
- The UNDP Human Development Report Office also publishes an annual Human Development Report (since 1990) to measure and analyse developmental progress. In addition to a global Report, UNDP publishes regional, national, and local Human Development Reports.
- UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from member nations. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
- Additionally, the UNDP works internationally to help countries achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Currently, the UNDP is one of the main UN agencies involved in the development of the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
- UNDP works with nations on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and its wide range of partners.
The decision to expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru from 225 sq km to about 800 sq km by incorporating 110 villages, seven City Municipal Councils (CMC) and one Town ...READ MORE
The year 2016 marks an end of the era of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which drove the global development agenda since the new millennium. The MDGs have paved the way for ...READ MORE
The RPBD is an annual event organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), as part of its outreach to the Indian Diaspora in various global regions. So far ...READ MORE
An estimated million people are joining India’s workforce every month, thanks to its demographic dividend of a high number of youth in the population. As of now, the only employment data ...READ MORE
The state government is gearing up to set up a mini hydel project next to the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, an elephant corridor, even as cases of jumbos straying out of ...READ MORE
What causes pilot whales to get disoriented? Pilot whales are highly sensitive to noise pollution, caused by man-made sounds that interfere with echolocation. This makes them susceptible to disorientation from a ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the "Digital India Week" on 1st July, 2015Following are the projects and products that have been launched, or are ready for deployment, as part of ...READ MORE
Karnataka Draft film policy Why in News: The committee, headed by Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy chairman S V Rajendra Singh Babu, submitted its Kannada Film Policy report to Chief Minister Karnataka Film Chambers of ...READ MORE
Introduction - Why Important Steel is the backbone of any modern economy. The level of per capita consumption of steel is often considered an important index of the level of economic ...READ MORE
To Expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru
SDG 3: big agenda, big opportunities for India
Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at Los Angeles
Govt plans to institute one of its kind Annual
Karnataka: Govt to set up hydel project in
Beaching of whales
KAS Challengers 2016: About Karnataka Draft Film Policy
Steel Sector in India
Highlights of Agriculture Census 2010-11