- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- They are an intergovernmental set of aspiration Goals with 169 targets.
- The Goals are contained in United Nations Resolution which acts as the Post 2015 Development Agenda (successor to the Millennium Development Goals)
- On 25 September 2015, the 193 countries of the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Development Agenda titled Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Description and agenda
The Official Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted outlines the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and its associated 169 targets.This included the following goals:
- Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Food – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Health – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Women – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Water – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Energy – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Economy – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Infrastructure – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Habitation – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Consumption – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Climate – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Marine-ecosystems – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Ecosystems – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Institutions – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Sustainability – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and SDGs
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network.
- Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
- It provides expert advice, training, and grant support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
- The status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP Administrator is the third highest-ranking official of the United Nations after the United Nations Secretary-Generaland Deputy Secretary-General.
- To accomplish the MDGs and encourage global development, UNDP focuses on poverty reduction, HIV/AIDS, democratic governance, energy and environment, social development, and crisis prevention and recovery.
- UNDP also encourages the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women in all of its programmes.
- The UNDP Human Development Report Office also publishes an annual Human Development Report (since 1990) to measure and analyse developmental progress. In addition to a global Report, UNDP publishes regional, national, and local Human Development Reports.
- UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from member nations. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
- Additionally, the UNDP works internationally to help countries achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Currently, the UNDP is one of the main UN agencies involved in the development of the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
- UNDP works with nations on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and its wide range of partners.
The Government of Karnataka has allotted 323 acres of land for the formation of Housing Projects for the members of economically weaker Section of the Society 190 Acres of land has been handed ...READ MORE
Preparation of Master Plans for the orderly development of Cities, Towns and Villages in the State and providing technical assistance to Urban Development Authorities, Planning Authorities and Local Bodies in the ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
It is possible to get an image or design of your choice embossed on pearls while they are being formed in the oysters - "Image pearl farming” is all about such ...READ MORE
Despite the Animal Welfare Board of India’s ‘request’ to the State government to stop Kambala for the year 2015-16 it will be held. Administrations of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi will follow ...READ MORE
Homeless rural residents of Karnataka will now get additional funds to build their houses In a first for the country, the State government has decided to dovetail funds meant for subsidised ...READ MORE
The first step has been taken towards removal of Karnataka Lokayukta Y. Bhaskar Rao by the Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party and Janata Dal (Secular). They submitted separate petitions to Legislative Assembly ...READ MORE
State reaches 8-lakh mark in LED bulb sales As the number of LED bulbs sold in the country under the Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP) touched the 5-crore mark, Karnataka stood ...READ MORE
The amendment to the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification 2011 permitting the use of reclaimed land for construction of roads in notified areas has triggered a wave of concern among ...READ MORE
2010-11ನೇ ಸಾಲಿನಿಂದ ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರದ ಯೋಜನೆ ಇಂದಿರಾಗಾಂದಿ ಮಾತೃತ್ವ ಸಹಯೋಗ ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು ಪ್ರಾಯೋಗಿಕವಾಗಿ ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ 2 ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳಾದ ಕೋಲಾರ ಹಾಗೂ ಧಾರವಾಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಜಾರಿಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಗುತ್ತಿದೆ. ಇದರಡಿ ಗಬಿಣಿಯರಿಗೆ ಹಾಗೂ ಹಾಲುಣಿಸುವ ಮಹಿಳೆಯರಿಗೆ ,ಪೌಷ್ಠಿಕತೆ ಕುರಿತು ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ, ಆರೋಗ್ಯ ಸಲಹೆ ಪದ್ಧತಿಗಳ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ತಿಳುವಳಿಕೆ ನೀಡಲಾಗುವುದು. ...READ MORE
Urban Development-Construction of Houses for EWS
Urban Development-Town and Country Planning
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Image pearl farming
Kambala to be held in Dakshina Kannada
Rural poor in state get MNREGA support to
Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP) and Hosa Belaku
Amendment to CRZ 2011
ಇಂದಿರಾಗಾಂದಿ ಮಾತೃತ್ವ ಸಹಯೋಗ ಯೋಜನೆ