- The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm), held every two years, was held in Malta
- It is an association of 53 independent nations
- The countries of the Commonwealth represent nearly one-third of the world’s population.
- As its heads of government gathered in Malta, there were pressing matters to consider.
- Countering violent extremism is a priority; so too is climate change, the effects of which are a particular threat to low-lying territories in the Pacific.
- And a few days short of the Paris conference on global warming, French President Francois Hollande is breaking off from his domestic security challenges to address Commonwealth leaders on the need for decisive action on global warming.
- Because its membership includes industrialised G7 powers like Britain and Canada, emerging giants like India and tiny island microstates such as the Maldives, agreement in the Commonwealth has historically boded well for deals being struck beyond its bounds.
- Though global warming topped the agenda at the 2015 summit, world leaders also tackled the hot-button issues of extremism, corruption and migration.
- Climate change
- A climate change agreement signed by the Commonwealth has made clinching a deal at the upcoming Paris COP21 talks more likely
- They pledged to demand an “ambitious” and legally binding outcome from the world climate change summit in Paris
- The organisation said it was confident its agreement would “put the global community on track towards low-emission and climate-resilient societies and economies.
- It launched a Climate Finance Access Hub aimed at smaller island states that want to get access to funds to mitigate against the effects of climate change, with Australia, Britain, Canada and India pledging billions of dollars (euros).
- UK Prime Minister David Cameron has pledged to set up a Commonwealth unit to target the extremism and pledged £5m to help fund the unit. Mr Cameron has pledged £1m funding annually, for five years, to help set up the unit
- He also pledged another £200,000 for expanding a European counter-radicalisation youth programme to include the Commonwealth. It will try and prevent young people from becoming radicalised, primarily through education and civil society networks.
- The group of nations has a vital role to play in tackling terrorism. Its civil society and education networks make it particularly well placed to complement international efforts to build counter narratives to this poisonous extremist ideology.
- In a bid to tackle the rise of violent extremism, the organisation said it was “imperative to counter the use of the Internet by extremist groups to radicalise and recruit fighters.”
- The Malta summit emphasised the link between global warming and migration, warning that “worsening impacts of climate change will increase climate-induced migration” — meaning wealthy nations will be increasingly affected by the fate of developing countries.
- While the movement of peoples could deliver economic and social benefits, the Commonwealth said it was “deeply concerned” by the increase in flows of refugees, asylum seekers and irregular migrants and it was committed to “responding decisively”.
- The leaders also discussed combating corruption — with British Prime Minister David Cameron insisting it was linked to radicalisation — and promised “enhanced transparency and collaboration among law enforcement bodies”.
- Trade finanace facility
- Sri Lanka, India, Malta and Mauritius have come together to establish a Commonwealth Trade Finance Facility to boost trade and investment flows, particularly for developing nations of the Commonwealth.
- The four countries have inked the document, Declaration of Intent, as anchor investors at the Summit
- The facility, structured as a guarantee fund, will cover risk for providers of trade credit in financial institutions of Commonwealth countries. It seeks to stimulate lending by major banks to smaller banks in member states and reduce risk.
- The fund, voluntary in nature, hopes to attract start-up capital of $ 20 million. It will provide member countries facing trade challenges with the funds.
- It is estimated for every dollar invested, the fund will generate $ 20
Almost nine percent of popular apps downloaded from Google Play interact with websites that could compromise users’ security and privacy, according to a new University of California, Riverside study. The team ...READ MORE
ಶಿಕ್ಷಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಪಾರದರ್ಶಕತೆ ಹಾಗೂ ಆಡಳಿತ ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆಯ ವೇಗ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಸಲು ಉನ್ನತ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣವನ್ನು ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣವಾಗಿ ‘ಡಿಜಿಟಲೀಕರಣ’ಗೊಳಿಸಲು ರಾಜ್ಯ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದೆ. ಉನ್ನತ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಇಲಾಖೆ ವ್ಯಾಪ್ತಿಗೆ ಬರುವ ಪದವಿ ಕಾಲೇಜು, ಸ್ನಾತಕೋತ್ತರ ಕೇಂದ್ರ, ವಿಶ್ವವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯಗಳು, ಸ್ವಾಯತ್ತ ವಿಶ್ವವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯಗಳು, ಪಾಲಿಟೆಕ್ನಿಕ್ ಕಾಲೇಜುಗಳನ್ನು ಡಿಜಿಟಲೀಕರಣ ಮಾಡಲಾಗುತ್ತದೆ. ಮುಖ್ಯವಾಗಿ ಎಜುಕೇಷನ್ ...READ MORE
For Online Registration: Click Here The exam consists of Preliminary Test Followed by the Mains Exam and Personal Interview. The applicants need to qualify in the Prelims exam to appear in ...READ MORE
ಜಿಎಸ್ಟಿಎನ್ ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣ ಸರ್ಕಾರಿ ಸ್ವಾಮ್ಯದ ಕಂಪನಿಯನ್ನಾಗಿಸಲು ನಿರ್ಧಾರ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ? ಸರಕು ಮತ್ತು ಸೇವಾ ತೆರಿಗೆ ಜಾಲ (ಜಿಎಸ್ಟಿಎನ್) ಅನ್ನು ಭವಿಷ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಸರ್ಕಾರಿ ಕಂಪನಿಯನ್ನಾಗಿ ಮಾಡುವ ಕುರಿತು ನಡೆದ 27ನೇ ಜಿಎಸ್ಟಿ ಮಂಡಳಿ ಸಭೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ನಿರ್ಧಾರ ಕೈಗೊಳ್ಳಲಾಗಿದೆ ಜಿಎಸ್ಟಿಎನ್ನಲ್ಲಿ ಸದ್ಯ ಶೇ. 51ರಷ್ಟು ...READ MORE
ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹದಿಂದ ಸ್ವಚ್ಛಾಗ್ರಹ ಚಂಪಾರಣ್ ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹಕ್ಕೆ 100 ವರ್ಷ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಂಡ ಹಿನ್ನೆಲೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬಿಹಾರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಹಮ್ಮಿಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದ 1 ವರ್ಷದ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮವನ್ನು ಅಂತ್ಯಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಯಿತು. ಈ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಪಾಲ್ಗೊಂಡಿದ್ದ ಪ್ರಧಾನಿ ನರೇಂದ್ರ ಮೋದಿ ನಿತೀಶ್ ಕುಮಾರ್ ನೇತೃತ್ವದ ಬಿಹಾರ ಸರ್ಕಾರವನ್ನು ಶ್ಲಾಘಿಸಿದರು. ರಾಜ್ಯ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹ ದಿಂದ ಸಚ್ಛಾಗ್ರಹದತ್ತ ತಿರುಗಿದೆ ...READ MORE
Expected big news - Budget expected to focus on direct taxes While there are unlikely to be any major changes in indirect tax as most of them are now under the ...READ MORE
The report of the Pay Commission, headed by Ashok Kumar Mathur, a former judge of the Supreme Court, was held up due to Bihar Assembly polls. The commission was given ...READ MORE
Swachh Bharat Mission is a massive mass movement that seeks to create a Clean India by 2019. The father of our nation Mr. Mahatma Gandhi always puts the emphasis on swachhta as swachhta leads to ...READ MORE
Dear Aspirants, Are you ready for the last leg of your preparations? NammaKPSC is here for the rescue. Presenting you the Interview manual book. This book is a comprehensive manual for all civil services ...READ MORE
why in News?On August 29 this year, Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and U.S. Defence Secretary Ashton Carter signed a Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA), an agreement that the ...READ MORE
Safety concerns of apps
ಉನ್ನತ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಇನ್ನು ಡಿಜಿಟಲೀಕರಣ
Assistant conservator of Forest-Group A
“7th ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
“12th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Get ready for the Budget 2018
7th pay commission draft report
Swachh Bharat Mission- All you need to know
Interview Manual for IAS and KAS exams- download
Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA)- All you