- The National Highway (NH) stretches will be made green corridors by planting trees, landscaping, and laying grass turfs and ornamental shrubs.
- The initiative of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) to make the NH stretches eco-friendly is part of the green highways policy to “tree-line” 96,000 km of NHs across the country.
Green Highways Fund
- In a communication to all States, the Ministry said a Green Highways Fund would be set apart utilising 1 per cent of the civil work cost while arriving at total road project cost.
- The funds to be transferred to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) would be used exclusively for plantation and maintenance on all NH stretches being developed on the Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) and Build Operate Transfer (BOT) mode.
- The NHAI will act as Fund Manager for maintaining the account and for release of the payments made by the Regional Officer or Project Director based on the recommendation of the monitoring agency-Indian Highways Management Company Ltd (IHMCL).
- At least one NH corridor in each State would be taken up for model plantation, which would be replicated in other stretches subsequently. The plantation and maintenance would be done through empanelled agencies of MoRTH through competitive bidding.
- The participation of community, farmers, non-governmental organisations, private sector, government agencies and the Forest Department will be ensured for effective plantation and better impact.
Criminalise marital rape: UNDP chief Recently Minister for Women and Child Welfare Maneka Gandhi submitted in Parliament that the government wouldn’t criminalise “marital rape,”. She said that the “concept of marital rape, as ...READ MORE
The fast food or QSR, format took off in India about 19 years ago with the arrival of McDonald’s in 1996. Many global brands followed the suit since then, either ...READ MORE
Database soon of medicinal plants, traditional healthcare The State could soon have a modern database of local medicinal plants and knowledge pertaining to traditional healthcare practices created using Geographical Information System ...READ MORE
The "Start up India Stand up India" initiative was announced by the PrimeMinister in his address to the nation on 15th August, 2015. The Stand up India component is anchored ...READ MORE
Ministry aims to have a new auction policy for hydrocarbon blocks ready by the end of the current financial year. Marginal field policy In the recently announced marginal field policy, the government ...READ MORE
2,500 ornamental fish traded globally Globally, more than 2,500 species of ornamental fish are traded, but only 30-35 species of freshwater fish dominate the market. More than 90 % of freshwater fish ...READ MORE
Cable TV Services in Urban Areas will be digital from 1st January 2016 The cable TV is one of the most popular medium of mass entertainment & education. The country has ...READ MORE
Best Current affairs Magazine for all civil services competitive examinations. It is the only magazine that covers National issues, international issues and Karnataka issues all in one single magazine. Our ...READ MORE
A worrying re-emergence of diphtheria in Malappuram district of kerala, is putting at risk considerable swathes of its population. Atleast two children died of Diphtheria this year. Over a dozen Malappuram ...READ MORE
Marital rape – Need to be criminalised?
Quick service restaurants
Database soon of medicinal plants and traditional healthcare
Stand Up India Scheme approved
New auction policy for natural gas
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Cable TV digitisation
current affairs magazine karnataka for kas exams
After Diphtheria Deaths, Kerala Launches Vaccination Drive