- The National Highway (NH) stretches will be made green corridors by planting trees, landscaping, and laying grass turfs and ornamental shrubs.
- The initiative of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) to make the NH stretches eco-friendly is part of the green highways policy to “tree-line” 96,000 km of NHs across the country.
Green Highways Fund
- In a communication to all States, the Ministry said a Green Highways Fund would be set apart utilising 1 per cent of the civil work cost while arriving at total road project cost.
- The funds to be transferred to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) would be used exclusively for plantation and maintenance on all NH stretches being developed on the Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) and Build Operate Transfer (BOT) mode.
- The NHAI will act as Fund Manager for maintaining the account and for release of the payments made by the Regional Officer or Project Director based on the recommendation of the monitoring agency-Indian Highways Management Company Ltd (IHMCL).
- At least one NH corridor in each State would be taken up for model plantation, which would be replicated in other stretches subsequently. The plantation and maintenance would be done through empanelled agencies of MoRTH through competitive bidding.
- The participation of community, farmers, non-governmental organisations, private sector, government agencies and the Forest Department will be ensured for effective plantation and better impact.
The Supreme Court has upheld a colonial and pre-Constitutional law criminalising defamation. The challenge to the validity of Section 499 and 500 of the IPC was undoubtedly the biggest free speech issue to ...READ MORE
The Labour Ministry has mooted the idea of forming a National Social Security Authority and a separate Social Security Department within the ministry to provide social security to the entire ...READ MORE
Four-day World Congress on Disaster Management concluded on Sunday with the unanimous adoption of ‘Visakhapatnam Declaration’ calling for a comprehensive action plan for a disaster-resilient society The declaration was drafted after ...READ MORE
A worrying re-emergence of diphtheria in Malappuram district of kerala, is putting at risk considerable swathes of its population. Atleast two children died of Diphtheria this year. Over a dozen Malappuram ...READ MORE
National framework for malaria elimination launched in Karnataka The Health Department launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination in India programme in Karnataka The World Health Organisation is committed to eradicating malaria ...READ MORE
Dhanush India recently successfully test-fired its nuclear-capable Dhanush ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 km from a naval ship off the Odisha coast. It is a surface-to-surface missile and a ...READ MORE
NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact ...READ MORE
Karnataka unveils booster kit for startups In a bid to boost the startup ecosystem, the state government unveiled the Startup Karnataka Booster Kit to provide easy access to necessary software tools ...READ MORE
In a temporary relief to several students who are awaiting conferment of degrees despite completion of various medical courses, the Karnataka High Court stayed the law that makes one year ...READ MORE
SC upholds law on criminal defamation
Social security authority proposed
After Diphtheria Deaths, Kerala Launches Vaccination Drive
National framework for malaria elimination launched in Karnataka
New NASA programme to protect Earth from asteroids,
Startup Promotion by Karnataka Government
HC stays law on mandatory rural service
Swachh Bharat Mission- All you need to know