- The National Highway (NH) stretches will be made green corridors by planting trees, landscaping, and laying grass turfs and ornamental shrubs.
- The initiative of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) to make the NH stretches eco-friendly is part of the green highways policy to “tree-line” 96,000 km of NHs across the country.
Green Highways Fund
- In a communication to all States, the Ministry said a Green Highways Fund would be set apart utilising 1 per cent of the civil work cost while arriving at total road project cost.
- The funds to be transferred to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) would be used exclusively for plantation and maintenance on all NH stretches being developed on the Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) and Build Operate Transfer (BOT) mode.
- The NHAI will act as Fund Manager for maintaining the account and for release of the payments made by the Regional Officer or Project Director based on the recommendation of the monitoring agency-Indian Highways Management Company Ltd (IHMCL).
- At least one NH corridor in each State would be taken up for model plantation, which would be replicated in other stretches subsequently. The plantation and maintenance would be done through empanelled agencies of MoRTH through competitive bidding.
- The participation of community, farmers, non-governmental organisations, private sector, government agencies and the Forest Department will be ensured for effective plantation and better impact.
The "Start up India Stand up India" initiative was announced by the PrimeMinister in his address to the nation on 15th August, 2015. The Stand up India component is anchored ...READ MORE
GPS to be used for next year's elephant census Global Positioning System (GPS) will be used for the first time to count and map elephants in the pachyderm census to be ...READ MORE
National Urban Information System (NUIS) is the project of Ministry of Urban Development with Survey of India as the focal point. National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) of ISRO has prepared geospatial ...READ MORE
Scientific name: Gazella bennetti About the animal Indian Gazelles are called shy animals as they always act themselves as an alert nature and usually it roams alone in the wild regions. Not very ...READ MORE
Cable TV Services in Urban Areas will be digital from 1st January 2016 The cable TV is one of the most popular medium of mass entertainment & education. The country has ...READ MORE
Why in News: The 17th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 17 and 18 September in Margarita Island, northeast of Venezuela, in ...READ MORE
Power wall is a wall-mounted high capacity lithium ion battery that can be charged using power generated through solar panels. Its about 4 feet tall,3 feet wide and 7 inches thick, ...READ MORE
The Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 was passed by the Parliament recently The provisions of the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Act, 2015 shall be deemed to have come into force on the ...READ MORE
The union government approved the hybrid annuity model for building national highways, paving the way for construction of 28 projects worth Rs. 36,000 crore this fiscal year. The move will speed ...READ MORE
Stand Up India Scheme approved
Elephant Census to be held in April-May 2017
National Urban Information System
Cable TV digitisation
Explained: NAM “Non Aligned Movement”- Important for IAS/KAS
Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 notified
All you need to know about HYBRID ANNUITY