- The Karnataka state has seen 144 acid attack victims since 2003-04. A large number have lost (some partially) their sight and are badly scarred. A majority of the victims are poor, with medical bills mounting over the years.
- The Karnataka State Commission for Women (KSCW) has directed all zilla panchayats to provide free houses or residential sites to the acid attack victims.
- In addition, the victims are eligible to draw disability pension, get cash compensation and medical treatment expenses.
- The victims are also eligible to get welfare pension meant for people with disabilities, cash compensation of Rs. 3 lakh, and compensation for treatment up to Rs. 20 lakh, she said.
- According to sources at the Department of Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Bengaluru, identifying acid attack victims and houses/lands for them are under way in several ZPs.
Kukkarahalli lake revival inches closer to reality Ecological conservation and rejuvenation of the Kukkarahalli lake – as against its beautification from tourism point of view – is inching towards reality. The district ...READ MORE
Till the year 1896, unfiltered water was supplied to Bengaluru city in the Kalyani system from a number of tanks such as Dharmambudhi, Sampangi, Ulsoor, Sankey etc., supplemented by local ...READ MORE
Water situation in Udupi deteriorates The drinking water problem in the city is worsening with the water levels at the Baje Dam on the Swarna at Baje village, from where water ...READ MORE
GPS to be used for next year's elephant census Global Positioning System (GPS) will be used for the first time to count and map elephants in the pachyderm census to be ...READ MORE
The Industrial Policy of the state aims at industrialization in backward regions and also development of industrial corridors and identifying potential locations to set up industries. In this context, it is ...READ MORE
A recent study by the WHO shows that a significant population of Indian subcontinent breathes air with much higher particulate matter that is lesser than 2.5 micrometre (PM2.5) in size ...READ MORE
Generic drug centre at district hospital ordered shut Minister for Urban Development Roshan Baig, who is also in-charge of Chikkamagaluru district, on 14th Sep made a surprise visit to the district ...READ MORE
Accessible India, Empowered India”,is a scheme aimed at ease of access for persons with disabilities in government buildings and public transport. It is the responsibility of the signatories to the UN ...READ MORE
What causes pilot whales to get disoriented? Pilot whales are highly sensitive to noise pollution, caused by man-made sounds that interfere with echolocation. This makes them susceptible to disorientation from a ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
BWSSB – Existing Water Supply System Scenario &
Karnataka Current affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Elephant Census to be held in April-May 2017
Urban Development – Regional Development
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 16th
Accessible India campaign
Beaching of whales
GDP grows at 7.3% in September quarter