Published on: November 8, 2023
Barda Wildlife Sanctuary
Why in news? Barda Wildlife Sanctuary(BWLS) proposed as second home for Asiatic lions
- The Gujarat forest department presented its proposal to make BWLS the second home to the lions before the national steering committee meeting as part of “Project Lion @ 2047”.
- National steering committee on “Project Lion @2047, Amritkal” has identified Barda as a potential site to accommodate lions in the landscape of Barda-Alech hills and coastal forests.
About Barda Wildlife Sanctuary
- Located in Gujarat with nearest city is Porbandar
- Climate : Tropical climate is characterized by very hot summers.
- Vegetation :Tropical forest with dry mixed deciduous forest and northern tropical thorn forest
- Rivers: Bileshvary River and Joghri River
- Sanctuary area supports ‘maldhari’ families
Flora and fauna:
- Euphorbia scrub, dry deciduous scrub, and dry bamboo brakes are found
- Blue bull, chinkara, blackbuck, and wolf are the main fauna population
- Once known to have had a population of Asiatic lions, they deserted the area towards the end of the nineteenth century.