Published on: November 9, 2023
Chief Information Commissioner
Why in news? Information Commissioner Heeralal Samariya sworn in as the Chief Information Commissioner (CIC)
- At present, there are two Information Commissioners in the Commission.
- The Commission is headed by the Chief Information Commissioner and can have a maximum of 10 Information Commissioners.
About Chief Information Commission
- Formed-12 October 2005
- Type-Statutory body
- Members-One chief information commissioner and not more than ten information commissioners
- Appointment committee-Appointed by President on recommendation of Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and a Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
- Tenure-As prescribed by central government or until they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier
- Not eligible for reappointment
- Oath -President
- Power-Receive and inquire into a complaint from any person regarding information requested under RTI, 2005.
- order an inquiry into any matter if there are reasonable grounds (suo-moto power).
- While inquiring, the Commission has the powers of a civil court in respect of summoning, requiring documents etc.