Published on: November 5, 2021
INFRASTRUCTURE FOR RESILIENT ISLAND STATES
Initiative called IRIS or Infrastructure for Resilient Island States, was formally launched by Prime Minister recently
- What is it – “Data Window” for small island nations, generating and disseminating satellite data that will help these countries to strengthen their fences against climate disasters
- Created By – ISRO
- Part of the new India-backed international initiative that seeks to make critical infrastructure in the small island states resilient against all kinds of disasters.
- Through this mechanism, the small island states will get continuous information that will help them in monitoring cyclones, coral reefs, and coastlines
- First major programme under the Coalition of Disaster Resilience Infrastructure (CDRI), an international partnership launched by India two years ago to safeguard important infrastructure against the increasing frequency of climate disasters.
MAHITI FOR PRELIMS
Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
- Platform/ forum started by India in 2019
- To promote the Disaster resilience capacity of new and existing Infrastructure systems.
- Provides a platform for countries to access knowledge and resources from other members and contribute to build resilience capacity of each other’s Infrastructure.
- Partnership of National governments, UN agencies, Multilateral banks, private sector, knowledge institutions.