Published on: July 15, 2021
- Pilgrimage organised in the Hindu calendar month of Shravana (Saavan)
- Saffron-clad Shiva devotees generally walk barefoot with pitchers of holy water from the Ganga or other holy rivers.
- Devotees carry the pitchers of holy water on their shoulders, balanced on decorated slings known as Kanwars.
- The water is used by the pilgrims to worship Shiva lingas at shrines of importance
- States where yatra is taken : Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Bihar
- There are groups called as kanwariyas
- In Uttar Pradesh clash between these groups is common
- Disruptive behaviour, substance abuse, and hooliganism by anti-social elements in religious garbs are usually common in name of religion
What is in news : Supreme court has asked UP government about allowing kanwar yatra despite COVID