Published on: November 12, 2021
Death Anniversary of Kuvempu recently celebrated
- Full name – Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa
- 1904 –1994
- Pen Name – Kuvempu
- Greatest Kannada Poet, Novelist, Author, Thinker and Critic of 20th century.
- Born in the Chikmanglur district
- Received early education in Shimoga and nearby districts and completed college education in Mysore.
- Started academic career as teacher of Kannada language in Mysore and Bengaluru
- Became professor, and then principal of the Maharaja’s College in Mysore
- In 1956, he was appointed as Vice Chancellor of Mysore University.
- First student of the Mysore university to become its Vice Chancellor.
- A poetry collection called “Beginner’s Muse” was his first literary work in English. Achieved extraordinary distinction by his creative works comprising almost all the genres of modern Kannada literature.
- Magnum opus is the Sri Ramayana Darshanam. It is based on Ramayana and led him to become a Sahitya Akademi and Jnanpith Award winner.
- To promote research in Kannada, he founded the Kannada Adhyayana Samsthe (Institute of Kannada Studies) in the Mysore University. Today, it is known as Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies.
- Tried to fight with the social evils through his work. For example, his work Shoodra Tapasvi was against the casteism and untouchability. His Sri Ramayana Darshanam is based in premise of Sarvodaya