LAST ICE AREA
order prednisone What is in news : A part of the Arctic’s ice called “Last Ice Area”, located north of Greenland, has melted before expected. Scientists had believed this area was strong enough to withstand global warming.
Quvasoy What is Last Ice Area :
- This is the area defined by scientists as one which could withstand global warming even after ice of Arctic has melted down.
- This region is located north of Greenland and Ellesmere Island in the Canadian territory of Nunavut.
- The total disappearance of summer ice in the Arctic was estimated by the year 2040, however the ‘Last Ice Area’ was the exception.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) was the first to use the term Last Ice Area.
What are the reasons for this change :
- 80 percent of thinning can be attributed to weather-related factors such as winds that break up and move the ice around
- 20 percent can be attributed to longer-term thinning of the ice due to global warming.