Published on: October 20, 2021
What is in news : Valmiki Jayanti celebrated
- Considered as the Adi Kavi
- First poet of the Sanskrit language
- Great sage and author of the epic Ramayana.
- Celebrated on Ashwin Purnima as per the Hindu lunar calendar.
- Also known as Pragat Diwas
- Was a contemporary of Lord Sri Rama
- Lord Rama met Valmiki during his period of exile and interacted with him.
- Valmiki provided shelter to Devi Sita in his hermitage when Lord Rama banished her. In his hermitage, Kusha and Luv, the twin sons of Lord Rama were born.
- Valmiki taught Ramayana to both twins.
- In his early life, Maharishi Valmiki was a highway dacoit whose name was Ratnakar. He used to rob people after killing them. It is said that Sage Narad Muni transformed Ratnakar and became a great devotee of Lord Rama.
- Narad Muni advised Ratnakar to perform great penance by reciting the Mantra of Rama Nama.