Published on: November 14, 2023
Why in news? Karnataka Saptapadi Vivaha Yojane has been renamed as ‘Mangalya Bhagya’.
- ‘Mangalya Bhagya’ is a mass marriages scheme started to avoid the poor and middle class families from getting into financial trouble due to the exorbitant cost of marriage.
- All these guidelines which were earlier under Saptapadi Yojana have also been implemented in ‘Mangalya Bhagya’.
Features of Mangalya Bhagya
- A shirt, dhoti and 5000 rupees is given for the groom.
- Saree, Mangalsutra, Rs 1,000 cash and 8 gms of gold (tali-bullets) is offered for bride.
- Total cost is around Rs 55 thousand for each couples.
- The cost of mass marriages under this scheme will be met from the temple funds.
- The temple administration will make arrangements for catering to the relatives of the bride and groom.
- This scheme was earlier implemented only in selected 100 temples and has now been extended to all ‘A’ and ‘B’ grade temples.
- When the said temple is not able to hold the event once, the financial assistance of the incentive money given to the bride and groom will be paid from the general collection fund of the department.