Published on: November 10, 2023
Methanol Diesel-15 fuel
Why in news? Indian Railways Collaborates with Indian Oil Corporation to Develop MD-15 Fuel
- The blended composition fuel decreases harmful pollutant emissions, contributing to a cleaner and greener environment.
What is MD-15?
- MD-15, short for Methanol Diesel-15, is a special fuel developed by the Indian Railways’ Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) in collaboration with the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL).
- It is a cost-effective blended fuel containing 15% methanol, 71% mineral diesel, and 14% indigenously developed additives by IOCL.
Benefits of MD-15
- MD-15 offers superior performance, combustion, and emission characteristics compared to regular mineral diesel fuel.
- It has the potential to reduce diesel consumption by 15% and result in substantial annual savings.
- Fuel showed lower cylinder temperatures at all levels, thereby extending the lifespan of engine components.
- It demonstrated reduced emissions of NOx, also known to contribute to smog formation and pollution.
Challenge of MD-15
- Methanol cannot be directly mixed with diesel, necessitating the addition of specially formulated additives to achieve compatibility with existing diesel locomotives.