MONUMENTS OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE
http://embeecavaliers.com/ Adi Sankaracharya’s birthplace in Kerala likely to be declared as national monument
What is an Ancient Monument:
According to the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, any structure, sculpture, inscription, etc., which is in existence for not less than 100 years is termed ancient.
- Designated by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
- Authorises the central government to “maintain, protect and promote the site”, which may be considered of significant historical importance, as mandated by the Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958.
- Currently, there are around 3,600 monuments of national importance being protected by the ASI.
- Adi Shankaracharya was born in Kalady
- It is on River Poorna/Periyar
- At present there is Sringeri Mutt , Tomb of Shankar’s mother and other temples here