Published on: February 27, 2023
Why in news? The Kannada Sahitya Parishat has unanimously selected veteran writer Vaidehi for its prestigious Nrupatunga Sahitya Prashasti for 2022.
- Vaidehi is engaged in writing short stories, poetry, novels, children’s literature, essays, and so on.
- She is the second woman to be selected for this award after Sara Aboobacker.
- The award is given considering the writer’s overall contribution to Kannada literature.
About Nrupatunga Award
- The Nrupatunga Award is an award for excellence in Kannada literature in the Indian state of Karnataka.
- The award was instituted by the Kannada Sahitya Parishat and is sponsored by the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC).
- Instituted in honor of the Rashtrakuta King Nrupatunga Amoghavarsha I (ruled c. 814–878),
- Award carries a purse of 700,001, a citation, and a shawl.
- The first awardee was Javaregowda
- King Nrupatunga finds an important place in the history of India in general and Karnataka in particular for his patronage and contribution to the Kannada language in the 9th century.