Published on: November 18, 2021
Pochampally village in Telangana is set to be named as one of the best Tourism Villages by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO)
ABOUT THE AWARD
- Aims to honour the villages which set outstanding examples as rural tourism destinations and to support these villages to enhance their tourism potential through training and access to opportunities for further improvement.
- Award will be handed over at the 24th session of the UNWTO General Assembly scheduled to be organised in the Spanish capital city of Madrid on December 2.
- Referred to as the Silk City of India for the exquisite saris that are woven in a unique style called Pochampally Ikat
- Received a Geographical Indicator (GI Status) in 2004
- Also known as Bhoodan Pochampally as the Bhoodan Movement was launched by Acharya Vinobha Bhave from this village on April 18, 1951.