Published on: November 8, 2023
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
Why in news? PM Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY) scheme extended for five more years till 2028-2029
- In December 2022, as PMGKAY came to an end after multiple extensions, the Union Cabinet decided to make NFSA rations free for one year.
About Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
- PMGKAY has been introduced as a part of Atmanirbhar bharat scheme in April 2020
- Operated by the Department of Food and Public Distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- Nodal ministry is Ministry of Finance.
- Aim: To feed the poorest citizens of India by providing grain through the Public Distribution System, to all the priority households (ration card holders and those identified by the Antyodaya Anna Yojana scheme).
- AAY and PHH beneficiaries were entitled with additional 5 kilogram of free foodgrains to every person on top of their NFSA entitlement of foodgrains at subsidised rates.
- In December 2022, the Government amalgamated PMGKAY with NFSA and decided to provide free foodgrains to beneficiaries under the NFSA.
- Families belonging to Antyodaya Anna yojana(AAY), and priority household categories(PHH) are eligible for the scheme
- Priority household is meant to be identified by state government/union territory administration as per the criteria
- AYY families are to be identified by state as prescribed by central government
- All citizens are eligible who belong to below poverty line families
- The NFSA covers 50 per cent of the urban population and 75 per cent of the rural population.
- Central government provides foodgrains to people rice at Rs 3 per kg, wheat Rs 2 per kg, and coarse grains Rs 1 per kg under the NFSA.
- There are two categories of beneficiary households under the NFSA – Antyoday Anna Yojana (AAY) and Priority Households.
- AAY households are entitled to 35 kg of foodgrains per month irrespective of the number of family members, the priority households get foodgrains depending on the number of family members (each member 5 kg per month).