Published on: November 10, 2021
http://thelittersitter.com/wordless-wednesday-michi/ The fourth submarine of the Project – 75, VELA was delivered to the Indian Navy today recently
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- First approved by the defense ministry in 2007 but has been delayed
- It will take at least two years for the manufacturer to be down-selected under the SP model.
- Six new-generation conventional diesel-electric submarines will be constructed.
- The submarines
- Will have advanced Air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems to enable them to stay submerged for longer duration and substantially increase their operational range.
- Will have a vertical launch system (VLS) to enable them to carry multiple Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles, making them capable of anti-surface and anti-ship warfare missions.
- Will feature advanced stealth capabilities such as a greater ability to suppress noise and acoustic signatures.