Published on: August 14, 2021
buy discount Seroquel on line What is in news : Government of Karnataka decided Friday to organise official events to mark the birth of 18th Century freedom fighter ‘Krantiveera’ Sangolli Rayanna on August 15 and his martyrdom on January 26 in Bengaluru and across the state
Fatehpur Sīkri About Rayanna
- Prominent warrior from Karnataka, India.
- Was the army chief of the Kingdom of Kittur ruled at the time by Rani Chennamma and fought the British East India Company till his death
- Participated in the 1824 rebellion and was arrested by the British, who released him later
- Continued to fight the British and wanted to install adopted son Shivalingappa as the ruler of Kittur
- Mobilised local people and started a guerilla type war against the British
- His “army” moved from place to place, burnt government offices, waylaid British troops and plundered treasuries. Most of his land was confiscated and what remained of it was heavily taxed. He taxed the landlords and built up an army from the masses.
- The British troops could not defeat him in open battle. Hence, by treachery, he was caught in April 1831 and tried by the British; and sentenced to death.
- Shivalingappa, the boy who was supposed to be the new ruler, was also arrested by the British.
- Was executed by hanging to death from a Banyan tree about 4 kilometers from Nandagad in Belgaum district on 26 January 1832.
- Was helped by Gajaveera, a Siddi warrior, in his revolt against the British in 1829-30