Published on: November 18, 2023
SECOND VOICE OF GLOBAL SOUTH SUMMIT
NEWS – Second Voice of Global South Summit concludes
WHAT IS GLOBAL SOUTH
- The term “Global South” refers to countries that are often described as ‘developing’, ‘less developed’, or ‘underdeveloped’.
- It encompasses countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, which are characterized by higher levels of poverty, income inequality, and harsh living conditions compared to the “Global North”.
THE VOICE OF GLOBAL SOUTH SUMMIT
- Hosted Virtually
- Initiative by India
- Inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas and Sabka Prayaas, and is underpinned by India’s philosophy of “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam”
- It acts a stage for developing countries, many of which are united by a history of colonisation.
- India is set to be the world leader by pushing the new agenda to the world on behalf of the countries of the South: ‘respond, recognise, respect, and reform’.
THE 2ND SUMMIT
- Themes: “Together, for Everyone’s Growth, with Everyone’s Trust” and “Global South: Together for One Future”
- Global centre for excellence for the Global South countries called DAKSHIN inaugurated
- Proposed to launch a satellite for monitoring weather and climate monitoring for Global South.
- Focussed on sharing with countries of the Global South the key outcomes achieved in various G20 meetings over the course of India’s Presidency