Published on: October 11, 2021
SNIPPETS – 11 OCTOBER 2021
- Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi, a senior judge of the Allahabad High Court’s Lucknow Bench, will now be the Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court.As per article 217, the Chief Justice of the high court is appointed by the President in consultation with the Chief justice of India as well as the Governor of the state in question.
- In a interview the representative and country director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), Bishow Parajuli, said Eliminating social taboos with regard to food diversification is crucial for improving nourishment levels among the Indian population. World Food Programme is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security launched in 1961(1963 in India)
- The Labor Bureau released the results of the All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey (QES) for the first quarter (FQ) of 2021 (April to June).
- The Delhi government, in a move to provide an alternative to stubble burning and combat air pollution, will start its campaign to use bio-decomposer – PUSA solution on farmlands under its winter action plan.The decomposer was developed by Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI). It is essentially a fungi-based liquid solution that can soften hard stubble to the extent that it can be easily mixed with soil in the field to act as compost.
- Based on research over KATOL meteorite researchers have unravelled the composition expected to be present in the Earth’s lower mantle which is at about 660 km deep. It reports existance of new mineral called BRIDGMANITE, which is present in Earth’s lower mantle around 80%
- Popular since the early 20th century, the rail link between Nepal and India is ready to resume on the neighbouring country’s first-ever broad gauge passenger service. The first stretch is ready: a 34-km line between Bihar’s Jayanagar and Nepal’s Kurtha, with the Hindu pilgrimage city of Janakpur Dham in between.
- The second phase of the Malabar naval war gaming exercise with the four Quad members – India, US, Japan and Australia – will take place in the Bay of Bengal from October 12 till October 15.
- A recent analysis by the Mahamana Centre of Excellence in Climate Change Research (MCECCR) at Banaras Hindu University (BHU), in collaboration with the Department of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Earth Sciences, has found a spatial shift of heatwaves in India, with this weather event now occurring in new regions in the country.
- 300th birth anniversary of Bhai Taru Singh Ji celebrated. Bhai Taru Singh (1720 – 1745) was a prominent Sikh martyr known for sacrificing his life, in the name of protecting Sikh values, by having had his head scalped rather than cutting his hair and converting to Islam. Gurdwara Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh or Gurdwara Shahidi Asthan Bhai Taru Singh ji is a Sikh Gurdwara at Naulakha Bazaar in Lahore, Pakistan, which commemorates the spot where Bhai Taru Singh was martyred.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced its plan to send a probe on an asteroid between Mars and Jupiter for collecting data regarding origins of the universe.