Published on: January 17, 2022
SNIPPETS – 17 JANUARY 2022
- Karnataka government launches “The Kutumba project”. It aims to be a comprehensive database to create an Integrated Social Protection System (ISPS) consisting of a Social Registry and an Entitlement Management System that the government wants to use for automatic disbursal of benefits to eligible citizens without them having to even apply.
- Veteran journalist Sam Rajappa, a long-serving correspondent of the Kolkata-based newspaper Statesman, is no more.
- A massive underwater volcanic eruption was recorded in the small island country of Tonga. It is expected to trigger Tsunamis
- Kathak maestro Pandit Birju Maharaj passes away
- Noted environmentalist M K Prasad passes away at 89. Prasad was a guiding force behind the national movement against the state government’s move to set up a hydro-power project in Silent Valley in Palakkad district in the 1970s.
- Padma Shri awardee and social activist Shanti Devi of Odisha passes away
- Indian Navy’s indigenously designed and built guided missile destroyer, INS Kochi, exercised with Russian Federation Navy’s RFS Admiral Tributs on 14 January 2022 in the Arabian Sea. The exercise showcased cohesiveness and interoperability between the two navies and included tactical manoeuvres, cross-deck helicopter operations and seamanship activities. It is named Passex . A passing exercise (a PASSEX in U.S. Navy terminology) is an exercise done between two navies to ensure that the navies are able to communicate and cooperate in times of war or humanitarian relief. Common drills include flashing light drills, semaphore drills, and flaghoist drills.
- Prime Minister has paid tributes to Bharat Ratna MGR on his birth anniversary. He was a famous actor and former chief minister of Tamilnadu
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has recommended that the Delhi government must suspend its flagship ‘Desh ke Mentor’ programme
- Addressing first National Start-up day Union Minister Jitendra Singh highlighted that “Purple Revolution” is Jammu & Kashmir’s contribution to “Start-ups India”. It relates to growth of LAVENDER flowers.
- Prime Minister has declared that January 16 will be celebrated as ‘National Start-up Day’. Startup India Scheme was launched on 16th January 2016 with an aim to promote and support the start-ups in India by providing bank finances.
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has invited applications from 100 domestic companies, micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) as well as startups for incentives under the design linked incentive (DLI) scheme. It is a incentive based scheme for production of Semi conductors