Snippets – 2 September 2022
Ahead of the unveiling ceremony of 108-feet bronze statue of Bengaluru founder Kempe Gowda on the Bengaluru International Airport premises, the State government has decided to launch a 45-day campaign involving the public. The Kempegowda Development Authority has named the theme of this campaign as ‘Nada kattona Banni’
- An IISc team has developed and tested a novel virus-like particle (VLP) – a non-infectious Nano scale molecule that resembles and behaves like the virus but does not contain its native genetic material – in a study published in Microbiology Spectrum.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) will soon launch a single-window for submitting grievances by merging the different portals and helplines that exist currently, with the aim to fastrack their resolution as well as monitor institutes that are slow in responding to them
- The Integrated Pharmaceutical Database Management System 2.0 and Pharma Sahi Daam 2.0 app were launched. IPDMS 2.0 is an integrated, responsive, cloud-based application developed by NPPA with technical support from Centre for Advance Computing (C-DAC). Pharma Sahi Daam 2.0 app will have updated features like speech recognition, availability in Hindi and English, share button and medicine bookmarking.
- The Indian government has decided not to extend the anti-dumping duty imposed on ammonium nitrate imported from Russia, Iran and Georgia. An anti-dumping duty is a protectionist tariff that a domestic government imposes on foreign imports that it believes are priced below fair market value.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will commission the first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, at the Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kochi. Designed by the Indian Navy’s in-house Warship Design Bureau (WDB) and built by the Cochin Shipyard, a public sector shipyard.Vikrant has been built with state-of-the-art automation features and is the largest ship ever built in the maritime history of India
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is set to formally raise its first unit of indigenous Light Combat Helicopters (LCHs) in Jodhpur in the first week of October coinciding with Air Force Day on October 8.
Last week, pictures of an unusually-shaped rainbow cloud that appeared over China were widely shared on social media. The cloud in question resembles a pileus cloud, and the phenomenon of bright colours appearing on a cloud is called cloud iridescence.