Published on: January 7, 2022
SNIPPETS – 7 JANUARY 2022
- The Directorate of Urban Land Transport has opened first Pedal Port at the Dr B R Ambedkar metro station’s exit near Vidhana Soudha. The project was piloted at Church Street when it was made pedestrian-friendly last year. It is a first-of-its-kind initiative where cycle pumps and tools such as tyre levers, Allen keys, screwdrivers, and spanners are available for self-service.Cyclists can fix their cycle tyre punctures, fill air or even tighten seat posts
- Bengaluru will get Rs 6,000 crore over three years under the Chief Minister’s Amrit Nagarotthana scheme for infrastructure development. This is the third phase of the scheme
- Hindustan Aeronautics Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT), designed and developed by HAL for the stage-2 training of Indian Air Force pilots, has successfully demonstrated its ability to carry out six-turn spins to the right-hand and left-hand sides.
- For providing more facilities for tourists at the Jog Falls, where water from river Sharavati takes a plunge from a height of 810 feet, the State Cabinet on Thursday decided to construct a ropeway, a five-star hotel, coffee bars and other facilities on Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Transfer (DBFOT) model. In this model, the entire responsibility for the design, construction, finance, and operation of the project for the period of concession lies with the private party.
- Election Commission announced a hike in expenditure limit for candidates to Rs 95 lakh (up from Rs 70 lakh) for Lok Sabha elections, and Rs 40 lakh (up from Rs 28 lakh) for Assembly polls.
- PFMS Division of Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA) under Ministry of Finance organized a workshop on Public Finance Management System (PFMS) to generate awareness among the officials on the functioning and achievements of the system at Jaydev Bhawan in Bhubaneswar.
- In a conservation effort to monitor seasonal fluctuations in birds’ movements, the ringing of oriental darters has been taken up in the Keoladeo National Park after a gap of 22 years.They are Water birds of tropical South Asia with long and slender neck which looks like a snake when it swims and dives into water to catch a fish.
- The Sanjay Lake in east Delhi has become polluted over the years and the number of birds sighted there has fallen. It is a artificial lake in Delhi
- Cabinet approves Intra-State Transmission System – Green Energy Corridor Phase-II. It facilitates grid integration and power evacuation of about 20 GW of renewable energy (RE) projects in seven states — Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- North Korea has successfully tested a hypersonic missile in the first major weapons test by the nuclear-armed nation this year. HYPERSONIC WEAPONS are those with speed faster than five times that of sound i.e. greater than 5 Mach
- Union Minister of State for Science & Technology inaugurated India’s first open rock museum displaying different types of rocks gathered from different States of ages ranging from 3.3 billion years to around 55 million years on the campus of the CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI). It is located in Hyderabad
- Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding between India and Turkmenistan on Cooperation in the field of Disaster Management
- Cabinet approves Agreement between India and Spain on Cooperation and Mutual Assistance in Customs Matters
- Cabinet approves MoU between India and Nepal for construction of bridge over Mahakali River at Dharchula (India) – Dharchula (Nepal)
- Veer Gatha is one such unique project that has been launched to inspire the school children of our country with the stories of war heroes, brave hearts, and it has elicited a tremendous response from all over the country. For the first time as part of Republic Day celebrations, the Ministry of Defence has envisioned that school students may be motivated to do projects/activities based on gallantry award winners. Accordingly, the Ministry of Education, Department of School Education & Literacy & Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) organized the Veer Gatha Project from 21 October to 21 November 2021 all across the country.
- India is among the six Indo-Pacific nations participating in a multi-lateral anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Pacific Ocean named Sea Dragon 22 along with the navies of India, Australia, Canada, Japan and South Korea.