Published on: May 2, 2021
SPECIAL REPORT 301
By : The United States Trade Representative
About 301 Report:
- Released under Section 301 of Trade Act of 1974
- It lists countries that do not provide sufficient IP rights to American companies
What does the report say about India :
- India has been inconsistent in the progress of IP protection. Though the enforcement of IP has gradually improved, India lacks in providing benefits for innovators.
- The patent issues are of great concern in India. The Indian Patent Law lacks patent validity and holds narrow patentability criteria. This burdens companies in different sectors. It leads to patent revocations(Revocation is official cancellation).
- Patent applicants are facing issues with time consuming pre and post grant procedures. They face difficulties of long waiting periods to receive patent approval.
- Stakeholders of India continue to express concerns over vagueness in the interpretation of Indian Patents Act.