Published on: December 24, 2022
Star category industrial area
Lansdale Why in news? Karnataka government to set up ‘star category industrial area’ in Belagavi under ‘one district-one project programme’.
- Border district had no mega industry coming in recent times, and investments was flowing into neighbouring Maharashtra
- Global Investors’ Summit estimated Rs 9.81 lakh crore worth MoUs were signed potential to create an estimated six lakh jobs.
- There is no incentive or subsidy for industries in Bengaluru that led to Industries are in tier two cities like Belagavi, Hubballi-Dharwad, Kalaburagi, Mysuru and Managaluru.
Investment in Belagavi
- Under the ‘one district-one project programme’, priority will be given to Belagavi
- Gold Plus Glass’(Delhi-based company) investing Rs 2,500 crore in Hukkeri and Russian company that manufactures electric vehicles has come forward to invest,
- It is more than Rs 2,000 crore investment and land available is Belagavi .
- The government has announced the ‘Beyond Bengaluru’ initiative to push for investments in other districts
- it has been constant border conflict and absence of big industries resulted in unemployment to youth
- With preparing industrial policy for the state, special policy for border district like Belagavi, industries will have an investment or it would result in investing in maharashtra with more incentives.
- Belagavi, with an airport and Goa and Karwar ports nearby, was a suitable place for setting up of a semiconductor unit and data centre among others.
One District One Product Scheme
- Launch: Ministry of Food Processing Industries
- to help districts reach their full potential, foster economic and socio-cultural growth, and create employment opportunities, especially, in rural areas.
- This initiative is carried out with the ‘Districts as Exports Hub’ initiative by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Department of Commerce.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade is an important stakeholder.
- Identifying, promoting and branding a product from one district.
- Turn every district into an export hub through promotion of the product in the district specialises.
- Accomplish by potential foreign customers helping to achieve the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ vision.