Published on: April 12, 2022
STATE ENERGY AND CLIMATE INDEX
NITI Aayog launched the State Energy and Climate Index (SECI)
First index that aims to track the efforts made by states and UTs in the climate and energy sector
WHY THE INDEX
- Ranking the States based on their efforts towards improving energy access, energy consumption, energy efficiency, and safeguarding the environment
- Helping drive the agenda of the affordable, accessible, efficient and clean energy transition at the State level
- Encouraging healthy competition among the states on different dimensions of energy and climate
PARAMETERS OF PERFORMANCE
- Discoms’ (Power distribution companies) Performance
- Access Affordability And Reliability Of Energy
- Clean Energy Initiatives
- Energy Efficiency
- Environmental Sustainability
- New Initiatives
- Gujarat, Kerala and Punjab have been ranked as the top three performers in the category of larger States, while Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh were the bottom three States.
- Goa emerged as the top performer in the smaller States category followed by Tripura and Manipur.
- Among UTs, Chandigarh, Delhi and Daman & Diu/Dadra & Nagar Haveli are the top performers.
- Punjab was the best performer in discom performance, while Kerala topped in access, affordability and reliability category.
- Haryana was the best performer in clean energy initiative among larger States and Tamil Nadu in the energy efficiency category.