Published on: November 8, 2023
State food safety index
Why in news? Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) published the State Food Safety Index
- According to report, 19 out of 20 large states including Maharashtra, Bihar, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh recorded a drop in their 2023 scores from 2019.
- After adjusting for a new parameter included in the 2023 index, 15 out of 20 states recorded lower 2023 scores compared to 2019.
- Most significant decline has been observed in the ‘Food Testing Infrastructure’ indicator.
- Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand, meanwhile, recorded lower scores for the ‘Compliance’ parameter.
- Only parameter that recorded significant improvement was ‘Training and Capacity Building
About the State food safety index
- Released by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- Launch Year: 2018
- Aim : To help in providing safe and nutritious food to our citizens.
- Objective : Offers an impartial framework for assessing food safety standards in all states and union territories.
- Based on five parameters
- Human Resources and Institutional Data, Compliance, Food Testing Infrastructure ,Training and Capacity Building, and Consumer Empowerment.
- New parameter called ‘Improvement in SFSI Rank’ was added in 2023 index