Published on: August 20, 2021
WORLD GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION CONGRESS
Phirangipuram What is in news : Recently, it was announced that the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) will be held in Hyderabad, India, in 2022.
- By – United Nation Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM)
- First UNWGIC was organized by China in October 2018
- Objective: To enhance international collaboration among the Member States and relevant stakeholders in Geospatial information management and capacities
- Theme of Second UNWGIC: Geo-enabling the Global Village.
- Setting the agenda for the development of global geospatial information and to promote its use to address key global challenges.
- Works towards implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and to keep the promise to leave no one behind.
- In 2010, the United Nations Secretariat was requested to initiate discussion and prepare a report for the approval of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) on global coordination of geospatial information management, including the consideration of the possible creation of a United Nations Forum on GGIM.
- In 2011, the ECOSOC forum concluded with the acceptance of the Seoul Declaration on Global Geospatial Information Management (GGIM).