Published on: October 28, 2021
What is in news : India successfully test-fired surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5
- Carried around at APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha
- Strike targets at ranges up to 5,000 km with a very high degree of accuracy
- The successful test is in line with India’s stated policy to have credible minimum deterrence that underpins the commitment to ‘No First Use’
- Range of over 5,000 km and can carry about a 1500-kg warhead
- Fire-and-forget system
- India has already joined an elite club of nations that possess the ICBM launch capability when the maiden test-firing of Agni-V was successfully conducted in April, 2012. Only the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council – China, France, Russia, the United States and Britain, along with Israel, have so far possessed such long-range missiles.