Published on: January 17, 2023
Why in news? Prime Minister virtually addressed the first batch of Agniveers undergoing training at various centres across the country
- This scheme was termed as “transformative policy” and “game changer” in strengthening the armed forces.
- Around 270 women recruits among the close to 2,800 Agniveers recruited in the first batch by the Navy.
Welfare schemes for Agniveers
- Reservation is being ensured for Agniveers for a number of posts in various departments of the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Central Armed Police Forces and Ministry of Railways.
- Arrangements are being made jointly by the MoD and Ministry of Education to ensure proper education to the Agniveers.”
- Collaboration with the Finance Ministry, arrangements were being made to provide loans at reasonable rates to the Agniveers who wish to start self-employment or any business after service.
About Agnipath scheme
- It is a tour of duty style scheme introduced by the Government of India for recruitment of soldiers below the rank of commissioned officers into the three services of the armed forces.
- The scheme is for both male and female aspirants of age group 5 to 21 years
- Recruitment through this scheme is to be twice a year for the Indian Army, the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force
- Period of service : 4 years(Include training for six months followed by 3.5 years deployment)
- Personnel recruited under this system are to be called Agniveers (Fire-Warriors), which will be a new military rank.
- This scheme will bypass many things including long tenures, pension and other benefits which were there in old system
- Only 25 percent of the total strength of the retiring batch will be selected for the permanent cadre