Published on: October 17, 2023
AI-based lung cancer screening
Why in news? State Health Department will start Artificial Intelligence (AI) based lung cancer screening for patients in 19 district hospitals in Karnataka.
- Karnataka government joins hands with AstraZeneca to deploy AI-based lung cancer screening technology
- This AI-powered chest X-ray system developed by health-tech startup ‘Qure.ai’
- A MoU was signed with regard this between the National Health Mission and the pharma company
- According to Indian Council for Medical Research, the incidence of cancer is increasing by about one per cent each year for both men and women in Karnataka
- In Bengaluru alone, the most common cancers in men are lung, stomach, esophagus, and prostate. In women, the most common cancers are breast, cervix, ovary, and corpus uteri.
- It will help the government to detect lung nodules, often precursors to lung cancer overcoming a major early detection challenge.
- The screening technology will be first deployed in K.C. General Hospital in Bengaluru
- The AI-based lung cancer screening technology will screen a patient for 29 lung diseases in one chest X-ray.