AKASH PRIME MISSILE
What is in news :The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully tested a new version of the Akash surface-to-air missile Akash Prime from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Odisha.
About Akash Prime : Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy. Other improvements also ensure more reliable performance under low temperature environment at higher altitudes
MAHITI FOR PRELIMS – AKASH
- First indigenously produced medium range Surface to Air missile
- Can engage multiple targets from multiple directions at a speed 2.5 times more than the speed of sound
- Can detect and destroy targets flying at low, medium and high altitudes.
- Part of India’s 30-year-old integrated guided-missile development programme
- Can fly at a speed of up to Mach 2.5 at a maximum height of 18 km.
- Can be launched from mobile platforms like battle tanks or wheeled trucks
- Supported by the indigenously developed radar called ‘Rajendra’ that can handle highly-manoeuvring
- Multiple targets from multiple directions in group or autonomous mode.
- Designed and developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)