Published on: April 16, 2023
Why in news? Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti is observed on 14 April to commemorate the memory of B. R. Ambedkar, Indian politician and social reformer. This year marks 132nd birth anniversary
- He was an Indian jurist, economist, social reformer and political leader
- Ambedkar headed the committee drafting the Constitution of India from the Constituent Assembly debates, served as Law and Justice minister in the first cabinet of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- In 1990, the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, was posthumously conferred on Ambedkar.
- He was appointed to the Bombay Presidency Committee to work with the all-European Simon Commission in 1925.
- In 1951, Ambedkar established the Finance Commission of India and opposed income tax for low-income groups.
Campaigns against untouchability
- He led a satyagraha in Mahad to fight for the right of the untouchable community to draw water from the main water tank of the town.
- In 1930, Ambedkar launched the Kalaram Temple movement after three months of preparation.
- On 25 September 1932, the agreement, known as the Poona Pact was signed between Ambedkar (on behalf of the depressed classes among Hindus) and Madan Mohan Malaviya (on behalf of the other Hindus).
- The agreement gave reserved seats for the depressed classes in the Provisional legislatures within the general electorate.
Organizations and Newspaper
- His first organised attempt was his establishment of the central institution Bahishkrit Hitakarini Sabha, intended to promote education and socio-economic improvement, as well as the welfare of “outcastes”, at the time referred to as depressed classes.
- For the defence of Dalit rights, he started many periodicals like Mook Nayak, Bahishkrit Bharat, and Equality Janta.
- 125-ft tall bronze statue of BR Ambedkar was unveiled in Hyderabad to mark the 132nd birth anniversary of the architect of the Indian Constitution.
- The statue in Hyderabad is India’s tallest statue of Ambedkar.
- The statue stands next to the State Secretariat on the banks of Hyderabad’s famous Hussain Sagar lake.