Published on: April 19, 2023
Animal Birth Control Rules, 2023
Why in news? The Central Government has notified the Animal Birth Control Rules, 2023 under Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act, 1960 and after superseding the Animal Birth Control (Dog) Rules, 2001.
- As per the extant Rules, Animal Birth Control programme for the sterilization and immunization of the stray dogs are to be carried out by the respective local bodies/municipalities/Municipal Corporations and Panchayats.
- The Municipal Corporations need to implement the ABC and Anti Rabies Program jointly.
- The Rules also provides the guidelines how to deal with the human and stray dog conflicts without relocating the dogs in an area.
- One of the requirements under the Rule is that the Animal Birth Control Programme needs to be carried out by AWBI recognized organization specifically recognized for Animal Birth Control programme.
- The list of such Organizations will be made available on the website of the Board which will also be updated time to time.
- The Central Government has already issued letters to all the State Chief Secretaries, Principal Secretaries of Animal Husbandry Department and Urban Development Department.