Published on: March 18, 2022
Arabian Tropicbird, one of the rarest seabirds in Kerala, has been sighted off the Kollam coast during a pelagic survey
- Threatened Species in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List
- Generally found in the Persian Gulf, Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Pakistan, western India, south-western Sri Lanka and the Horn of Africa
- Rare but regular vagrant to Seychelles Island.
- Considered a subspecies of the Red-billed Tropicbird (Phaethon aethereus aethereus) of Central Atlantic Ocean which breeds on islands south of the equator
- Distinguished by its smaller size, orange bill with black cutting edge, and the shape of eye-line.