Published on: October 14, 2023
Asia Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development
Why in news? India Re-elected as President of Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for a Third Successive Term
- India had already served two terms as President from 2018 – 2021 and 2021 – 2023
- Organization – UNESCO
- Type – Unique regional inter-governmental organisation
- Members – 92 member organisations from across 44 countries + 44 Affiliates (organisations) represented by 28 countries and regions in Asia, Pacific, Europe, Africa, Arab States and North America
- Features – India is one of the founding member + Prasar Bharati is the representative body of the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Govt. of India at AIBD.
- It is India’s state-owned Public broadcasting organization
- Headquartered in New Delhi.
- It is a statutory autonomous body set up by an Act of Parliament called Prasar Bharati Act
- It comprises the Doordarshan Television broadcasting and Akashvani (formerly All India Radio AIR).
- Its Parent department is Ministry of Information and Broadcasting