Published on: March 21, 2022
Assam government informed the Assembly that nearly 1.44 lakh illegal foreigners had been identified in the state until January 31 this year based on the 1985 Assam Accord
screamingly Who is a foreigner under the Assam Accord?
- Signed in 1985
- Who are involved – Central government , Assam government , All Assam Student Union (AASU) , All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad
- All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad spearheaded the 1979-85 Assam Movement against migration from Bangladesh.
- The Accord set March 24, 1971 as a cut-off
- Anyone who had come to Assam before midnight on that date would be an Indian citizen, while those who had come after would be dealt with as foreigners
- The same cut-off was used in updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC)