Published on: October 6, 2023
Why in news? Scientists have recently discovered a new fish species that can change its colour like a chameleon
- It was discovered at Milak river, Nagaland
- This fish belongs to Bididae family that are fresh water fish community found in streams with slow and moderate flow
- They are found in ditches and stagnant water bodies across India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Thailand and Myanmar.
- Fish from the Badis family are also known as chameleon fish for their ability to change colour which helps them blend with the surroundings when under stress.
- Fourteen species of Badi were found in waters of Brahmaputra in West Bengal, Brahmaputra, Kaladan river and from Sharavati river of the Western Ghats were identified. The new fish species adds the number to 15.