Published on: January 27, 2023
Why in news? IIT Madras-incubated Firm develops Indigenous Atmanirbhar Mobile Operating System
- ‘BharOS,’ – mobile operating system software can be installed on commercial off-the-shelf handsets.
- This software are currently being provided to organisations that have stringent privacy and security requirements that can handle users sensitive information which requires confidential communications on restricted apps on mobiles
- Developed by JandK Operations Private Limited (JandKops), incubated by IIT Madras Pravartak Technologies Foundation.
- The Foundation is funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, under its National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NMICPS).
- It aspires to put India on par with those few countries that currently possess such capabilities.
- No Default Apps (NDA): Users are not forced to use apps that they may not be familiar with or that they may not trust.
- Native Over The Air
- NOTA updates are automatically downloaded and installed on the device, without the need for the user to manually initiate the process.
- This ensures that the device is always running the latest version of the operating system, which includes the latest security patches and bug fixes
- Private App Store Services (PASS) : Users can be confident that the apps they are installing are safe to use and have been checked for any potential security vulnerabilities or privacy concerns.