Breast cancer incidence
modafinil online south africa Why in news?
Bhūm Incidence of breast cancer in Bengaluru, which was the third highest in the country after Hyderabad and Chennai till last year, jumped to the second highest at 40.5 per lakh (age-adjusted rate — AAR) this year. The highest incidence is in Chennai at 42.2 per lakh.
- October is observed as breast cancer awareness month.
- Breast cancer is the first and most common cancer in women in India and accounts for 25% to 32% of all cancers in women in Indian cities (as per Urban Population-based cancer registries) and second most common cancer in rural areas.
- The average age of patients with breast cancer has shifted from 40-70 years to 30-50 years.
- Sedentary lifestyles, excessive consumption of fast food and aerated drinks, an increase in smoking and alcohol consumption among women, menstrual factors (early age at menarche and late age at menopause) are responsible.
- Besides, obesity, weight gain during adulthood, lack of physical exercise and reproductive factors (nulliparity, late childbearing), and exogenous hormone factors (use of oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy) are also the common risk factors