Published on: December 15, 2021
CHAR DHAM ROAD PROJECT
Supreme Court of India permitted the Central Government for double lane widening of the roads for the Char Dham Project
- It was in the light of the security concerns
- An oversight committee has also been set up which will be headed by the former Justice A K Sikri for the direct reporting of the project.
- The oversight committee will receive all the support from the Ministry of Defence, Uttarakhand Government, Ministry of Road Transport and all the district magistrates.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- Strategic 900-km-long
- In Uttarakhand
- Aim at providing all weather-connectivity to four holy towns in Uttarakhand- Gangotri, Yamunotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath
- Envisaged back in 2016
- PM described the project as a tribute to those who lost their lives in flash floods in Uttarakhand
- Even though Char Dham road project was primarily conceived to facilitate tourism and Char dham yatras, it always had a strategic angle as the highways will facilitate the seamless movement of troops to the areas that are closer to the China border.