Published on: October 22, 2023
City Gas Distribution Network
Why in news? The Karnataka Cabinet cleared the implementation of the State Policy for the Development of City Gas Distribution Network
- The policy adaptation will be with some modification from centre rules in relevance to state
- It will promote and encourage the use of clean energy and CNG in transport vehicles.
- Permissions and clearances for the city gas distribution entity would also be given in a time-bound manner by providing policy framework and necessary support.
About City Gas Distribution Network
- Under the petroleum and natural gas regulatory board (PNGRB0 act 2006), PNGRB grants the authorization to the entities for developing a city gas distribution network
- It has segments with Compressed natural gas predominantly used for auto –fuel and piped natural gas in domestic, commercial and industrial segments
- It will encourage city gas distribution entities to develop compressed biogas plants in collaboration with the local bodies in the respective geographical areas, and promote the government’s initiative under the Swachh Bharath Abhiyan
- CGD has been granted ‘public Utility’ status
- To ensure safe and uninterrupted supply of natural gas.
- The present share of gas in the energy mix in the country is 6.2% compared to 24% globally, and the aim is to increase share of natural gas to 15% by 2030.